AYAM CEMANI - Pure Black chicken, inside and out!

one of my Ayam  eggs hatched out yesterday, he's very small about half the size of my barred/nova brown cross, his toes are pink his bum is white and his tonge is pink, is this normal for the Ayam chick? so little information on this breed as a chick esp. breeder assures me they are pure

Come join us in the ayam cemani breeder's club thread :)

Where did you get the eggs? A chick could hatch with pink toes and a pink tongue, but that chick would be a cull and not used for breeding.

Last edited:
eggs were bought through the post on a well known auction site in the uk. couldn't cull him he's my only hatch and he's pretty sweet.
will his toes and tongue stay pink? or will they get darker. he/she came out of a white egg. is this normal? seen pics of black eggs but I don't know if these were authentic x

eggs were bought through the post on a well  known auction site in the uk. couldn't cull him he's my only hatch and he's pretty sweet.
will his toes and tongue stay pink? or will they get darker. he/she came out of a white egg. is this normal? seen pics of black eggs but I don't know if these were authentic x

The black eggs are actually Cayuga duck eggs. Ayam cemanis lay a cream to tan colored egg. His toes might darken up a smidge but will probably never be all black, in my experience with my culls. The tongue will stay pink. With the white on his bum, you might also expect him to get some white wing feathers. A picture of one of my culls that sounds pretty similar to yours:

Note the little bit of white on the tip of the wing.

Last edited:
I'm not going to read all 142 posts. But I knew a woman who raised these, and when she felt ill, she would toss one in the pot, and breathe the steam.

thats just weird.....to me at least

In Indonesia they're considered to be magical, with the darkest ones having the most 'power'. They're used in rituals and medicine.

I got 5 eggs off Ebay this spring...the seller assured every one in his advertising that all the eggs he sold were Pure AC....silly me! I believed it...they all hatched...what an interesting clutch of chicks...2 were black...the other 3 had chickmunk stripes...when I enquired about the striped ones he told me they were the "Wild" ones....the black ones look like my Silkie/Aust. Crosses...Oh well, live and learn...they are healthy little birdies..the striped ones turned out black and white...cute little guys...

The black eggs are actually Cayuga duck eggs. Ayam cemanis lay a cream to tan colored egg. His toes might darken up a smidge but will probably never be all black, in my experience with my culls. The tongue will stay pink. With the white on his bum, you might also expect him to get some white wing feathers. A picture of one of my culls that sounds pretty similar to yours:

Note the little bit of white on the tip of the wing.
yes this looks almost exactly like my wee guy, no white under the chin, I have a wide range of Heinz 57 hens as to say crosses, so he'll (I say he but of course can't tell yet) will just get to run with them, he is a little sweetie the smallest of the 8 chicks who hatched this week, and likes to cuddle into my daughters neck. I have more eggs coming home from 2 other sellers so any chicks won't be related and should I get any completely black dudes next time I plan to keep them separate to get the next generation of black guys. so un usual up here, i'm sure no one will have a clue what he's ment to look like anyway so he shouldn't get a complex. got a little black silkie cross who he looks so like. so maybe they'll be good friends. the kids have named him blackie lol

http://www.featherloverfarms.com/ay...O7MVbyxajBxfVT8ylc66s0KeJElqNuNFDcaArV78P8HAQ

I just found some for sale out of California. You get 6 chicks for 299 plus 50 bucks shopping.
Buyer beware....can't do much about it if you don't get exactly what you expect....they might end up being "the wild strain" that I ended up with...I sure hope not! I was so excited about them...getting myself a treat....something that I would never have spent that much money on normally....and they ended up being some sort of hybrid....pretty boys...but only one really looks like it might be pure AC. Good luck! Post some pics of them when they hatch if you would. I'd like to see them!

Back
Top Bottom