Baby chick can't stand up!

I know this is late, I hatch chicks 2 weeks ago and I had one that couldn't stand or lift its head. I thought for sure it was a goner. 1
IMG_20200308_090232.jpg
week Sugar water and mashed food. Its strong now. smaller than the other though

I had one hatch yesterday with curled toes. I did the bandaid on both feet but it can't stand at all. It's shoulders are very small, almost not there and the legs go straight forward. Any tips as to how to get its legs underneath him? I am giving water with eye dropper and added electrolytes. Has not eaten yet but constantly uses its wings to try to stand but just cant. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Same here. What happened to your chick?

This baby hatched 2 days ago and it cant stand up or walk. Can someone please help me ? Thanks,
Hello,
Just curious what happens to this one. I just had some hatch and I have one who keeps her head back like this and can’t seem to sit right.

This may be the congenital condition "stargazing." It is thought to be a problem with the inner ear. I've had two of these--the first I culled after several days because she was not going to survive, and now I have another. I have built a sort of brace out of aluminum foil, and I'm going to see if standing her up for 12 hours or so will help her gain her equilibrium. May work, may not, but she's less than 24 hours old, so I figure I have a fighting chance before she gets too weak.

I band-aided his legs and he still wont even attempt to upright himself, I am making sure he gets enough to drink with a dropper and feeding him yogurt. My dh is on his way to town to get some vitamin drops. Thank you.

I really thought that when I band-aid his legs he would attempt to upright himself. He seems strong enough, chirping away and when I hold him trying to wiggle and thrash around. SIGH!!!!
What happened in the end? I've got a chick with similar issues right now.

My power went out for 8 hours and I did the best I could to keep humidity and heat in With using my car Heater. I had 2 chicks that were in the middle of hatching and I had to help both of them because They shrink wrapped. One of them is absolutely perfect and the other 1 can't seem to get him up from his side. I tried to stand him up to see and he just fell over again but he is fighting so hard to get up. Both legs are moving what could cause this kind of inbalance and how can I fix it. The only way I can describe it is like a car that has an imbalance and it steers to the right.

Attachments

• 16412675105113078630575658703939.jpg
    16412675105113078630575658703939.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 14
My power went out for 8 hours and I did the best I could to keep humidity and heat in With using my car Heater. I had 2 chicks that were in the middle of hatching and I had to help both of them because They shrink wrapped. One of them is absolutely perfect and the other 1 can't seem to get him up from his side. I tried to stand him up to see and he just fell over again but he is fighting so hard to get up. Both legs are moving what could cause this kind of inbalance and how can I fix it. The only way I can describe it is like a car that has an imbalance and it steers to the right.
Poor little thing!
I'm sorry to hear you are having so much trouble.
Is your power back on? You can try placing him in a paper towel lined coffee or tea cup to help keep him upright and it may allow him to push with those legs to strengthen them.
Do you have any Poultry Nutri-Drench, Chick vitamins/electrolytes or similar? If so, then I would give him a couple of drops every 6 hours or so.
And of course, keep him warm.

Hopefully he will perk up and come right. Keep us posted.

Poor little thing!
I'm sorry to hear you are having so much trouble.
Is your power back on? You can try placing him in a paper towel lined coffee or tea cup to help keep him upright and it may allow him to push with those legs to strengthen them.
Do you have any Poultry Nutri-Drench, Chick vitamins/electrolytes or similar? If so, then I would give him a couple of drops every 6 hours or so.
And of course, keep him warm.

Hopefully he will perk up and come right. Keep us posted.
I don't have any of those vitamins yet but will go 1st thing in the morning. I'm greatful for the ones that survived this this far just frustrating. Everything was going so well until this happened and of course it had to be on hatch day. Yes power is finally back on

I don't have any of those vitamins yet but will go 1st thing in the morning. I'm greatful for the ones that survived this this far just frustrating. Everything was going so well until this happened and of course it had to be on hatch day. Yes power is finally back on
:hugs I'm so sorry this happened! You are doing the best you can.
You can give a couple of drops of warmed sugar water. 1 tsp sugar to 1 cup water.
Sometimes even with power and everything going well, you can have a couple that fail.
I'm rooting for this little one.

:hugs I'm so sorry this happened! You are doing the best you can.
You can give a couple of drops of warmed sugar water. 1 tsp sugar to 1 cup water.
Sometimes even with power and everything going well, you can have a couple that fail.
I'm rooting for this little one.
Me to. He has so much fight and wants to live.

Back
Top Bottom