Backyard Brahmas!!

My LF Light Brahmas have started laying, 2 of the 4 anyhow. I am so happy with how they look even if hatchery stock, legs are getting feathered more and more. My largest girl knocked my EE cockerel on his butt again today. He popped up shook off and stood there like duuh, what happened? ?

Sorry I meant 4 chicks out of five are in the pictures the last one is in the bator. And now its currently 4 silver laced and 2 blue laced reds.

ETA: One of the silvers died while i was at classes, it was one that got stuck half way through zipping, even with the humidity at 75, the membrane stuck to its fuzz and was like that for about 24 hours before I helped, it was half fuzzy in the shell, and drying.
Oh, haha, I see. Shame about the little one.
Here in the house I have a gosling hatching under a desk lamp. Air humidity outside is 18! He´s already pipped, I´m wetting the membrane very regularly!

These are my 10 week old light Brahma from Murray McMurray. I'm a little disappointed in their coloring, but I'm just raising them for fresh eggs for my family, so their coloring isn't critical, however I can't get eggs from a rooster and #3 is looking awfully "rooy" to me. What y'all think?

These are my 10 week old light Brahma from Murray McMurray. I'm a little disappointed in their coloring, but I'm just raising them for fresh eggs for my family, so their coloring isn't critical, however I can't get eggs from a rooster and #3 is looking awfully "rooy" to me. What y'all think?

I also think that #3 is a cockerel. As far as the color goes, remember that they will moult out several times before they are adults. Mine change color often between birth and 6 months, usually by 6 months they are what they are but I've seen them change after that as well. Probably why my poor runs are covered with feathers right now.
big_smile.png

Some pictures of my 23 weeks old Light Brahma Cutie. How bad are the black feathers on her back? She is almost 6 lbs already so I have a feeling she will mature to be a big girl.
P.S She started laying 3 days ago. Are Brahma eggs light brown almost cream? I thought they were supposed to be a darker shade.

I wouldn't worry about the darker feathers, personally, they may go away when she molts all her big girl feathers. ;). And mine are a lighter shade than my Orpington. My buff laced lays a lighter creamy latte' color with dark speckles , and my gold laced lays only ever so slightly darker eggs. ;)

Back
Top Bottom