Backyard Brahmas!!

My chicks have grown so big now. Took them outside for the first time today and they really liked it, the silvers were hesitant at first, but soon began chasing after each other.

Here's they are with the d'uccle chicks, which also had their first day outside.

Lovely colours.
thumbsup.gif

Just found this thread. I have many breeds, but I just LOVE the temperament of the Brahmas!! Want to get more color varieties. They are so funny when they waddle around the yard, so gentle with all the other chickens.

Here are my buff brahma pullet and cockerel. They are now 4.5 months old. I wanted to know that if their size and shape is "normal" for a brahma to have at this stage? and please let me know about the patterns on the Cockerel. Are these patterns fine?

Just found this thread - how great is it not to have to worry about offending someone because my LB Rooster (Frodo) doesn't meet their specs. DH and I are new to backyard chickens - just started in April of this year with Frodo and 6 hens (2 red Xlinks, 2 RIR, 1 Australope and 1 LB - though she has no foot feathers). I've noticed over the past few days that it looks like Frodo's foot and leg feathers have been broken off and the area around the remaining base of the feathers is irritated looking. I'm not sure what it might be - none of the hens appear to have any irritations on their legs/feet, so I'm not convinced that it's mites. I'm hoping those of you that have more experience with brahmas might offer some insight - would he pull out his feathers or do they tend to just break off? The gang free ranges all day in our yard and love going into our compost pile to scratch around. They only go into the coop at night and we use the deep litter method in there. I haven't gotten any pics of his feet yet - he really is not fond of me, but seems to have no problem with my husband....still want to keep him around though - he's really good with the girls now that's he's gotten past that initial rush of male hormones....lol. If I can manage to get DH to catch him, I'll try to get some pictures to post later.

Also - tips on how to catch and do nail clipping on Frodo and the girls? They are very fond of us - come running to us whenever we go outside and like to hang out around us - yes, they are spoiled rotten. However, none of them like to be picked up or held so trying to catch them kind of freaks them out. Thanks all!!

Just found this thread - how great is it not to have to worry about offending someone because my LB Rooster (Frodo) doesn't meet their specs. DH and I are new to backyard chickens - just started in April of this year with Frodo and 6 hens (2 red Xlinks, 2 RIR, 1 Australope and 1 LB - though she has no foot feathers). I've noticed over the past few days that it looks like Frodo's foot and leg feathers have been broken off and the area around the remaining base of the feathers is irritated looking. I'm not sure what it might be - none of the hens appear to have any irritations on their legs/feet, so I'm not convinced that it's mites. I'm hoping those of you that have more experience with brahmas might offer some insight - would he pull out his feathers or do they tend to just break off? The gang free ranges all day in our yard and love going into our compost pile to scratch around. They only go into the coop at night and we use the deep litter method in there. I haven't gotten any pics of his feet yet - he really is not fond of me, but seems to have no problem with my husband....still want to keep him around though - he's really good with the girls now that's he's gotten past that initial rush of male hormones....lol. If I can manage to get DH to catch him, I'll try to get some pictures to post later.

Also - tips on how to catch and do nail clipping on Frodo and the girls? They are very fond of us - come running to us whenever we go outside and like to hang out around us - yes, they are spoiled rotten. However, none of them like to be picked up or held so trying to catch them kind of freaks them out. Thanks all!!
You´ll just have to freak them out! The more times you get them, the more they´ll get used to it. Night-time is a good time to catch them if it´s difficult. do what you want, then put them back on their perch.
You can tell if it´s something like scaley mite, as the scales on their legs lift, they´re not smooth. Could the hens be taking the feathers out? That´s not uncommon.

Can anyone tell me whether Brahmas would be okay with the climate in South Carolina? Summers usually get in the 90's at some point, but usually fairly mild, with lots of humidity. I read somewhere that Brahmas did better in cool climates. I am looking at them from breeding, but I wouldn't want them dying on me from heat exhaustion. Thanks

Can anyone tell me whether Brahmas would be okay with the climate in South Carolina? Summers usually get in the 90's at some point, but usually fairly mild, with lots of humidity. I read somewhere that Brahmas did better in cool climates. I am looking at them from breeding, but I wouldn't want them dying on me from heat exhaustion. Thanks
Last summer we had about a week of over 105 degrees, very unusual for us (but it is a dry heat....
th.gif
). My brahmas handled it, but they will need shade and if you aren't getting any rain a nice wet spot to dig in. I don't think I would have brahmas in this kind of heat if I had to leave them in a coop though, they should have at least a nice size run that the can dig in.

We are in SC. Our Brahmas do just fine in the heat. We make sure there is always fresh water available and our coop is between two large trees that keep it shaded. They are our favorite breed of all our flock :)

Back
Top Bottom