Backyard Brahmas!!

Mine did fine this past summer even with days and days in the 90s and tons of humidity. I think the most important thing is to give them the option of going where they choose. They'll regulate themselves between shade, sun, cool dirt pits, etc. Just make all of those things available to them and allow them to go where they want. And make sure they have access to cool water constantly.

Last edited:
I live in SC, too. Thank you so much, everyone. I was concerned because I read somewhere how their wings were tightly packed which made living in hot climates difficult for them. It said they were built for cooler climates. So I'm relieved that I can have these big beautiful girls here in the S.C. heat and humidity. I have a nice shaded corner lot with a big empty coop where I plan to keep them. I plan to purchase the light ones. They are gorgeous. :)

I know Brahmas are technically am American made breed from what I've read. But they're bred from stock which originated in warm tropical to temperate climates if I'm not mistaken in the far East. So I'd think they'd be fine in any climate.

Hello everyone,

I have kept chickens for a few years now, have a mixed flock, and was offered (a swap with an Appenzeller that turned out to be a Roo, which I couldn't keep) a Buff Brahma hen. I knew nothing about them, did some research and was focused more on her potential size than anything else. She arrived on Thursday with an Araucana (the other swap, the breeder didn't have much luck that day!) and I have been more surprised by her timidity than her size! It's made all the more obvious because the Araucana is already settling in very well, whereas the Brahma is only just building herself up to coming out of the coop; the first two days she wouldn't leave it and sat there shaking. I have never seen a chicken shake with nerves! I could also understand it more if my girls were hard on newbies, but they really are not. There will be the odd peck, but they never draw blood and they don't gang up or deliberately target newbies etc.

I have made a point of going in and out a couple of times a day, pottering about quietly (and aimlessly
smile.png
) so that she gets used to me and what I am doing. I also put in some new lower branches for her (as all my other girls roost on 6ft high branches but I can't see her getting up there!) and a separate feeding station for her and the Araucana, enough that they can get by if they don't feel brave enough to use either of the other two feeding areas. The Araucana hangs out with her at the moment, but is finding her feet and venturing off more and more and my feisty Wyandotte Bantam is being very sweet with her but having no luck... generally just brings on more shaking, which given the size difference, does make me laugh!

Other than that, I will be patient (its only been 4 days) but I don't want her to be overly stressed etc. if anyone has any ideas that could help?? I also wondered if a second Brahma might help? Not Plan A but was wondering if they might be a breed that worked better in pairs? Strength in numbers?

Thank you in advance,

Lucy

Hello everyone, I have kept chickens for a few years now, have a mixed flock, and was offered (a swap with an Appenzeller that turned out to be a Roo, which I couldn't keep) a Buff Brahma hen. I knew nothing about them, did some research and was focused more on her potential size than anything else. She arrived on Thursday with an Araucana (the other swap, the breeder didn't have much luck that day!) and I have been more surprised by her timidity than her size! It's made all the more obvious because the Araucana is already settling in very well, whereas the Brahma is only just building herself up to coming out of the coop; the first two days she wouldn't leave it and sat there shaking. I have never seen a chicken shake with nerves! I could also understand it more if my girls were hard on newbies, but they really are not. There will be the odd peck, but they never draw blood and they don't gang up or deliberately target newbies etc. I have made a point of going in and out a couple of times a day, pottering about quietly (and aimlessly :) ) so that she gets used to me and what I am doing. I also put in some new lower branches for her (as all my other girls roost on 6ft high branches but I can't see her getting up there!) and a separate feeding station for her and the Araucana, enough that they can get by if they don't feel brave enough to use either of the other two feeding areas. The Araucana hangs out with her at the moment, but is finding her feet and venturing off more and more and my feisty Wyandotte Bantam is being very sweet with her but having no luck... generally just brings on more shaking, which given the size difference, does make me laugh! Other than that, I will be patient (its only been 4 days) but I don't want her to be overly stressed etc. if anyone has any ideas that could help?? I also wondered if a second Brahma might help? Not Plan A but was wondering if they might be a breed that worked better in pairs? Strength in numbers? Thank you in advance, Lucy
Pretty girls!!! Sounds like you just got a timid Brahma. I have only one Brahma and because she is the biggest, she is top hen, but she wasn't at first. Being new to the flock is pretty stressful. They say it is best to keep new birds seperated for a couple weeks to make sure they don't have diseases and then let the two flocks see each other for awhile before actual contact. Getting her used to your presence by being out there moving slow (and aimless
1f60b.png
) is good. My Brahma is a bit skittish around people but is ok with people that just putter around. Hope she chills out soon - she is gorgeous!!

How old are LF Brahma when considered full grown? My girl is 24 weeks and is about the size of my cuckoo Marans.
The females are usually as big as they are going to get at about a year. The males at about a year and a half. I've heard females - 8 months, males - 12 months but I've never had any that grew that fast. Usually mine are as tall as they are going to get by that time, but they don't get up to weight until after a year/year and a half.

Back
Top Bottom