Backyard Brahmas!!

Many of you might have seen this video all over the net.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/03/21/giant-chicken-video/

I think from reading that it went viral on twitter.

Anyways where in the U.S.A. can I get some chicken like that? And what do you think the coop space would be needed per bird.

I don't really want to chance that one may grow that big. I want to know that they will when I purchase them.

So any thoughts?

Scott

You are looking for a European type bird and I don't know of anyone breeding Brahmas here in the US, to European standards. You could call Greenfire Farms...maybe they will import some for you.

Hello! I'm new to this thread, but several BYCers suggested I go to Brahma fanciers for answers.

I hatched 3 Dark Brahma chicks from shipped eggs. One was slow feathering and the other two were very fast feathering, with big tails early on. I thought I might have one slow-feathering roo and two fast-feathering pullets, so I went to the "Pullet or Cockerel" thread, and it was confirmed and reconfirmed that I have three pullets, at about 5 weeks.

Well, now they are 9 weeks old. I posted this pic, trying to find out why two of my DBs look like each other, and why the smaller, slow-feathering (bottom of pic #1 ) one looks so very different.
Pic #1

Some said, "Two pullets, one cockerel," and others said, "Two cockerels, on pullet." Everything I've read says that DBs are easy to sex by the feathering by this time, but I really don't know what I have here. :/  They are supposed to be purebred DBs. Are they? Do you think I truly have three pullets? If so, why do they all look different?

Pic #2 Left to right, Shimmer, Spark (small, slow-feathering), Sabre (higher up, white chest)

Pic #3 Sabre (white chest)]

Pic #4 Shimmer (black and white patchy chest)

Pic #5 Spark (Smaller, slow-feathering, evenly penciled chest)

I appreciate any help you can give.

I suspect that Sabre and Shimmer are roos and Spark is a pullet. It has been my experience that my Brahma chicks who were starting to get wattles at 9 weeks were roos. Some of my hens are 23 weeks and have not yet started getting wattles. Only the girls who are starting to lay are starting to get their wattles. I'd be very interested to know if yours turn out the same way mine did. Would you maybe PM me or follow up on this post when you know for sure what you have?

Is there anyone one this thread who have both production (from a hatchery)Brahms's as well as exhibition Brahms's that could provide a photo for comparison as well as trait differences?????
I don't know how much photos will help you...they don't always show the differences as well as seeing the birds in the flesh. Get a Standard of Perfection and then attend some shows so you can actually see some exhibition birds. If you can make friends with a breeder they may even let you handle the birds...this is the absolute best way to get to know a breed.
Are there specific questions you have as far as type? If I know what you're looking for I can take some pics of those points.

I suspect that Sabre and Shimmer are roos and Spark is a pullet. It has been my experience that my Brahma chicks who were starting to get wattles at 9 weeks were roos. Some of my hens are 23 weeks and have not yet started getting wattles. Only the girls who are starting to lay are starting to get their wattles. I'd be very interested to know if yours turn out the same way mine did. Would you maybe PM me or follow up on this post when you know for sure what you have?
Thank you, I absolutely will follow up. I put these most recent pics up on the Pullet or Cockerel thread, and it's interesting... the consensus there is now exactly what you said.

I have found a farmer friend who is going to take Sabre and Shimmer, with the understanding that they are cockerels. I'll certainly check back in with him and follow up with you to let you know if those two start crowing, as we suspect they will.

I don't know how much photos will help you...they don't always show the differences as well as seeing the birds in the flesh. Get a Standard of Perfection and then attend some shows so you can actually see some exhibition birds. If you can make friends with a breeder they may even let you handle the birds...this is the absolute best way to get to know a breed.
Are there specific questions you have as far as type? If I know what you're looking for I can take some pics of those points.

Thanks huntress, I had ordered some Brahma's and Cochins about a month ago from my local feed store and was posting on another thread on this forum and there were a couple of people that said that they hated their Brahmas that came from hatcheries and that they were smaller than exhibition birds and they were mean etc etc. So I just wanted a proactive outlook on the bread and would like to see a comparison. I would love to see your pictures.. :)

Back
Top Bottom