baking bread

I have put dough in the microwave, after heating a bowl of water in it, that worked pretty good.

The oven you have to be very careful to only heat it for a little while and then shut it off(just till it's warm, not even 200) you don't want to bake it. you can put a pan of warm water on the rack under your bread. In the oven you should put a pan or plate under the bowl, large enough to catch anything that could over flow if you get distracted. It is a mess if you have to clean it out of the oven.

If you have a gas oven with a pilot light it should be warm enough anyway.

I have baked other things in the oven and had the dough sitting on the stove, but you have to be careful not to have it over the vent for the oven it will cook there.

check the top of your refrigerator that may be warm also.

Thanks MissPrissy- , they do look like rolls now that I look at the picture again, they aren't rolls though- it's the top half of braided bread, they were about 1 1/2 - 2 feet long by 9 or 10 inches wide. Everyone said they were really good.

Here's my frybread recipe....
Wish it used eggs, but it doesn't--yet!

Fry Bread

1/2 tsp salt
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp lard (or Crisco) lol
1 tbsp sugar
1/3 cup powdered milk (adds richness if you'd like)
3/4 cup warm water
Oil or lard for frying

Begin by mixing the dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Then, add the lard (or Crisco) and cut into your flour mix until pea sized lumps are formed. Next, make a big “lake bed” in the middle of your flour and pour the water into your "lake." Mix gently with fork, slowly spinning your bowl and scraping flour into the “lake” water, until a soft dough is formed.

Knead the dough toward the center, until it is smooth and springy in texture. Make into 12 balls. Melt 1 tablespoon lard and brush on each ball of dough. Set aside and cover in a warm, draft free place for 30-45 minutes.

Then, on a lightly floured surface flatten the balls into a 4 inch circle. Stretch to 6 to 8 inches in diameter. Or, if you like thicker fry bread, just make your pieces ½ inch thick. Then, poke a hole in the center--very important.

Fry in hot oil. Note: To test the temperature of the lard or oil, sprinkle drops of water on the lard. If your water dances on the oil, you're ready to fry. (If you have an electric fryer, heat the oil to about 365*.) Fry on both sides until lightly browned. Place on a towel to cool.

Homemade bread is the best. I wore out a West Bend bread machine and now have a Zojirushi. My favorite recipe book is "Whole Grain Breads by Machine or Hand" by Beatrice Ojakangas. Lots of great recipes and she tells you how to make each loaf by hand, mixer or machine. I set my Zo to the dough cycle for the mixing, kneading and first rise then finish by shaping, second rise and baking in the oven. I like the oven baked loaves best. I also use the microwave for dough rising by boiling 2 cups of water then putting the loaves in, the temp and humidity make a great incubator! Thanks for all the recipes and book titles. I have a great recipe for a really healthy part whole wheat loaf if anyone is interested.

I love homemade bread. Making it AND eating it. I have several favorite recipes, but I recently just tried one for plain ol' white bread. It is delish! Makes great toast, too. I have tried a few others that seemed a little too heavy for sandwiches and toast, but this one fits the bill. I just finished making it tonight:
bread001.jpg

bread002.jpg

Here is the sight that I found the recipe:
http://ayearinbread.earthandhearth.com/2007/05/t-his-bread-which-i-call-farmhouse.html

Okay, time to eat a piece of warm crusty bread with butter....

Now thats a great idea! Let the machine do all the hard work, they bake it in the oven to the shape you want. Good thinkin!

Quote:
I do that for pizza dough and other things that can't be baked in the machine. Also hearth style breads that need that thicker crust. You just can't get that in the machine. Also my machine makes tall loaves that slice weird. So I prefer to bake in the oven if I can!

Hello,
Here is one of the recipes I have...this one is from a family member.

Hot Yeast Rolls

1/4 Cup Shortning
1/4 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup milk *scalded*
1 pkg active dry yeast, *soften in 1/4 cup warm water*
3 cups flour
(I use self-rising, can use other, just add your baking soda and powder w/ a little more salt)

Mix dry ingredients, then add all other ingredients. Mix well, if using a mixer, use your bread hook.

Let rise until doubled. (Cover and place near a warm spot)
Turn onto a floured board, roll to 1/2" thick, cut with biscuit cutter, or top of glass.
Place rolls in a greased pan, let rise.

Bake at 400* for 20 minutes...golden brown.

These are quick, and easy....with a good flavor.

English Muffins

I used my machine to make the dough and then cooked them on my electric skillet. The recipe if from America's Best Bread Machine Baking Recipes by Donna Washburn and Heather Butt

1 C milk
2 eggs
1tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp shortening
3 1/4 C bread flour
1 1/4 tsp bread machine yeast

cornmeal for topping

1. Measure all ingredients except the cornmeal into baking pan in order recommended by the manufacturer. Insert pan into the oven chamber. Select dough cycle.
2. Remove dough to a lightly floured board; cover with a large bowl and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes. Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness. Cut inot 3 inch circles. Place on prepared baking sheet.* Brush with water and sprinkle tops with cornmeal. Cover and let rise in a warm, draft free place for 30-45 minutes or until doubled in volume.
3. Grill for 6-7 minutes on each side or until golden brown.
* baking sheet should be sprinkled with cornmeal.

The recipe says to heat grill to 500 degrees. I used my electric skillet and cooked them at about 350.
They came out really great. One tip-they mean it when they say roll to 1/4 inch otherwise they will puff too high and not cook all the way through. Don't flatten them while cooking.
The recipe said it makes 24 and I actually got 25!
I may never buy muffins from the store again!

edited for typos that do not affect the actual recipe!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom