bantam breeds

i wanted to get a dutch but theyre impossible to find in the northwest.Do you know any other breeds that are really pretty and clean legged?

You Know what it dosent even have to be a chicken I just want an exotic poultry species that I can show thats not waterfowl.I NEED A POULTRY BIRD!!!!!!!!!!

i ordered the dutch i had from Ebay as Eggs. I got six eggs. Three hatched one died . I ended up with a self blue and a cream light brown pullet. I paired them up with a serama cockerel. Unfort. i had to sell them at six month of age.

My pretty boy, Jasper!
love.gif

I want to get a bantam breed chicken but im not sure what to get.Im looking for a beautiful breed thats clean legged,docile and easy to train.

This is a late post so I am certain you have probably decided on a breed. But here goes:

I also wanted a clean legged bantam when I first decided to keep chickens 3 years ago. But I fell in love with the looks of the Silkie as I researched different breeds. Silkies are probably the MOST popular pet, show, and flock bird in the world. Now that we've had them for 3 years I understand why. And there is an abundance of quality private show breeders in just about every US State.

These birds are not just popular show birds. Mine have been in a backyard flock and are the most heat and cold hardy chicken ever. They are excellent foragers, busy little bees, they can get into places the big fowl can't and that's evidenced by the spider webs and debris in their "hair" and furry feathers, alert to sound the predator alarm and their eggs are fairly sizable for a bantam from 1.25 to 1.5 oz. Very gentle sweet breed with personalities from very outgoing to shy and barely vocal. I thought the feathered legs would be a drawback but have found it very normal care for them (and the clean legged fowl too at the same time) with vitamin E leg massages as a scaly mite preventative. This is probably a show bird that catches the most attention in the bantam class. Even our local County Fair had Silkies in several pens on display in the chicken barn. 5-toed Silkie toenails need to be kept trimmed but then my clean legged 4-toed birds have to have pedicures also!

The Silkie has been such a delight that we want other bantam breeds as well such as the Dominique bantam, Buff Leghorn bantam, and Ameraucana bantam. Bantams are a broody bunch but they are prolific layers up until they brood or moult. The breeds we are looking into are good layers so we'll be glad when they take time off to rest from laying.

We never considered Sebrights or D'Uccles as we personally are not fans of the drooping wing stance these birds portray or the tall tail feathers of the Japanese bantams - beautiful birds but not our fancy. However we thought the Brahma bantam, Cochin bantam, Olansk Dwarf bantam, Pekin bantam frizzled, were all cute birds. Just gotta choose from what works for you and what you think you will enjoy because chickens can have a long life when well cared for.

Back
Top Bottom