BANTAM COCHINS CLUB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RIP Xander
hugs.gif

Thank you for your kindness. He was a force around here, an unexpected blessing.

They sold feather footed and bare legged Cochins, and I probably will get both

But, there is no such thing as a clean legged Cochin. If it does not have feathered legs, it's not a Cochin. Who is selling these birds? Are you sure it isn't an Orpington? That is the closest thing to a Cochin in looks without feathers on the legs.

Last edited:
Thank you for all the suggestions, but this crop issue was not really about the crop, but about Xander leaving us soon. Xander passed away during the night. He was on his feet yesterday morning, but barely. DH made a nest of one of those stackable storage things, can't think of the term for it, it's open fronted, and put him in it, where he stayed until he passed. His crop was a doughy ball. Even using Colace and massage many times a day did not move it along. It was not technically impacted but at a dead stop, a symptom of a system shutdown underway at the end of his life. Food mixed with water to form a paste and sat, as I've seen with many dying birds over the years, but only once with a rooster, coincidentally another bantam.

My 8 year old large fowl Delaware hen, Georgie, whose group Xander's was only recently combined with, sat next to him almost all day, grooming him gently. He was unresponsive for the most part all day long. The others sometimes would sit around him, but only Georgie sat touching him and grooming him. Others would come close and bend down to check on him. Georgie went to her roost at bedtime, but at 3 a.m., my husband went to check on Xander, found him gone with Georgie laying next to him with her head across his body. She is 2nd in command in her own group, only next in line to my 9 yr old EE hen, June, but she played the role of head hen yesterday in holding vigil over a dying pen mate. I'm so proud of her. And we'll miss our little Munchkin Dictator. He was a good rooster. I am so tired of issues with big young, hormonal males injuring pullets lately, that I am thiiiiiiiiis close to combining all my hen groups who can run together and getting them a couple of little men to watch out for them. RIP, sweet little Xander.

I am so sorry that you lost your Xander
hugs.gif
Oh my goodness...your story with Georgie by his side has me in tears
hit.gif
So glad he had love and snuggles until he passed and that he passed peacefully! Sounds like he was a wonderful Rooster to you and his girls and I am sure you will all miss him
sad.png
Now he is running around healthy, happy with endless treats up there!
love.gif
Rest in peace sweet Xander!

Found an amazing kind of Cochin- Feather footed. And they come in most of the regular color varieties too! But I'm wondering if I should choose silver-laced or blue.

You should get one of EACH color..LOL!! After all....if they are Bantam...then they are smaller than a typical chicken...which means REALLY 2 bantams are equal to one standard size...which means you can have twice as many...right??
lau.gif
LOOK OUT!!! They are addicting
big_smile.png

You should get one of EACH color..LOL!! After all....if they are Bantam...then they are smaller than a typical chicken...which means REALLY 2 bantams are equal to one standard size...which means you can have twice as many...right??:lau  LOOK OUT!!! They are addicting:D

So true! I started out with one that I had adopted from a sanctuary... Then I got two now I am about to get another hen that is a bantam polish
1f602.png
YOU JUST CANT STOP!!!

So true! I started out with one that I had adopted from a sanctuary... Then I got two now I am about to get another hen that is a bantam polish
1f602.png
YOU JUST CANT STOP!!!

I started out with one also! My friend had her and showed her at the fair and when I saw marshmallow I immediately fell in love. After the fair when I'd go to my freinds house she would come running when I called. About a year later I bought one of her marshmallows, I don't know if the one I have now is the original or not but she is just as tame and lovely :luv

Now I have seven Cochin bantams and more on the way! Some will be Cochin/brahma mixes

Back
Top Bottom