Barred Holland breed of chickens

Pics
I will be wanting some hatching eggs in about a year...no telling really but when my broody babies become broody mamas...I hope those of you with breeding sets will be able to part with some :)

I just cannot get over how fast these chicks are growing.
They aren't perfect but I hope they will be an asset to the breed. What I'm seeing that I'm not crazy about are the ones with dark legs. They should have yellow legs. I hope they will color up more, the leg color is yellowish but pale yellow on some and some have a little black on the legs. I definitely have some work to do. Jeanette emailed me from the ALBC, she's been very busy but hopes to be working on the Hollands soon.

Here are some pics taken today, unbelievable how much they've grown! and may I add "Nosey"
Look at the leg color, see what I mean? How are everyone else's? Luckily, some of them have legs with no black but I'm waiting and hoping they aren't green.

I would like to know some weights on some of these chickens from different hatcheries. If you all could post the sex, age (at least cockeral, rooster, hen, or pullet) their weight and what hatchery they came from, it would be great.
How old do they need to be? My older ones were hatched at the end of Dec or early Jan so they're not 4 months old yet.

Thanks for asking about them.
The first one was 8 months old and the other three were at least 9 months old.
I didn't believe they were ever going to lay, now I'm getting about 14 eggs a week.

Last edited:
I had read that they are slow to mature and lay then also told they could lay at 4 to 6 months, that didn't sound right. Mine are 3 months old and still look like babies to me
Let me know if you will be selling chicks or hatching eggs. I need better leg color. Mine are supposed to be all from white eggs so maybe we could swap some eggs sometime
Where did yours come from?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom