Barred Rock Chicks ?

I just got 6 Barred rocks a week ago but now that their feathers are coming in one of them looks different than the others. It is all black still with no white or grey and its beak is smaller and darker. The place had several other breeds so im thinking this was labeled as a Barred rock on mistake. What other breed could it be if it turns out to me all or mostly black with no white speckles? (Its the one in my profile pic, second up from the bottom on the right.)

Give it some more time ..looks like barred rock chick to me but it may be a runt and late on coming in with it's feathers...could be a cross breed as well. Another week or so should be able to tell.

The ones with the splotched white areas on head and body,yellow legs should be roosters, the ones with a well defined small white spot on their head, black or dark, dark coloring on the front of legs usually hens, the lighter/ darker tint of the chicks is not a real definition,, i have several hens that were light when they were small and some still are at 9 weeeks, the best way to tell is by the comb and wattles, if they are well developed and red, thats a good sign of being male, the hens usually develope just before starting to lay. Pic 1 i see 4 hens, all in all because i can not see the individual birds, legs, side body shots, i will say 60% male 40 female

I have a barred rock hen and rooster and just recently hatched out a few chicks and I am a little familiar with the breed . Now , today I went and purchased 17 barred rock chicks and I am a little unsure if they are of not. I believe they are but some of them are a darker black and makes me question their breed, I was also told they were 5 weeks old , which I don't believe . I have also been reading about sexing barred rock chicks , something about black on their legs , spots on their heads and the color ??

Last edited:
I have learned the art of sexing them now haha! When the feathers start coming in the darker ones are hens and the lighter ones are roosters. This guys are like 8 weeks old and there are 9 hens and 7 roosters .

Aint it though, i started with 20 Barred Rocks, which at 9 weks i find i have 1 black sex link, 3 penciled plymouth rocks,+ 1 pincled rooster, 6 of the 20 are roosters, 14 red sex link,5 black australorps,5 weeks, 5 doms 3 weeks and 5 black sex links 2 weeks, if i could get away with it i would have a few more,lol

They were. I posted them almost a year ago. Now I got more hatching haha ! It's addicting !
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom