Barred Rocks!!

Quote:
No!
Black Sex-link Roosters are Barred.. Black Sex-link hens are Black w/ Gold leaking in the hackles and breast.
Here is a link to possible crosses that will make a Sex-link --
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Chris

Chris, what cross would have the gold leaking in the feathers. My "Barred Rock" bantam rooster only had a little when I first got him 3 years ago, but now has more and more. I knew he came from a hatchery but was so calm and easy to handle that I just overlooked that fault. Just curious about the gold leaking factor.
hmm.png

Quote:
No!
Black Sex-link Roosters are Barred.. Black Sex-link hens are Black w/ Gold leaking in the hackles and breast.
Here is a link to possible crosses that will make a Sex-link --
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=261208

Chris

Chris, what cross would have the gold leaking in the feathers. My "Barred Rock" bantam rooster only had a little when I first got him 3 years ago, but now has more and more. I knew he came from a hatchery but was so calm and easy to handle that I just overlooked that fault. Just curious about the gold leaking factor.
hmm.png

There are a lot of factors that regulate the Gold leakage in Barred type birds.
In Sex-links it is the use of a Gold type male (ex. Rhode Island Red) now in pure Barred Rocks you can get some Brassing that can come from sunlight and type of feed.

When I refer to Gold leaking in the hackles and breast of a Black Sex-link hen the Gold leakage somewhat makes the hen look like a Gold Birchen.

Chris

Quote:
He isn't pure Barred Rock, he is either has Old English or Partridge Rock in him .
I say this because of the wing bow. (Barred Rocks shouldn't have a wing bow)
What color is his legs?

#12 shows a wing bow-
33115_nomen.jpg

Chris

Last edited:
He has a lot Gold in him.

It is quite passable that he is a cross from a Barred Rock and a Partridge Rock.

Chris

Here is one of my three week old barred rocks "dust bathing" while I was trying to add more shavings to the brooder. They are funny, curious little characters, aren't they?
smile.png

85259_029.jpg

p.s. Is there a way for me to tell yet if they are roos or pullets?

Back
Top Bottom