best brand of chicken feed?

I live in Washington state and I feed my hens and ducks Payback feeds. I start them out on Hatch to Hen, then switch to Organic Egg Layer Ration pellets when they are older. They also have areas to forage in, and get nearly all the food scraps/compost from my kitchen, which they love going through. Egg production is great, and I've never had a health problem with any of my hens or chicks, other than the occasional raccoon. Once in a while I give my hens an un-milled/straight grain type feed (like Scratch and Peck), but it is more as a treat since they tend to ignore the mineral mix that's added and just eat the grains only, which is kind of like feeding them high-carbo cookies or something. So, to make sure they get everything they need, their main feed ration is pellets since they can't pick and choose the high-carb grains, and instead get every nutrient in the pellet.
I use the organic pellets when they reach laying age because I don't want any gmo grains getting into the chickens that lay the eggs my children eat. There's a lot of unresolved controversy about gmos and long-term effect on health, and until we don't have the same companies that make the stuff approving its' sale via the FDA, I can't take chances with my kid's health. I tend to look at info from Europe and such where big Ag isn't also on the same boards that approve the stuff for sale, and the gmo grains are getting banned in more and more places because of health concerns.

I live in Washington state and I feed my hens and ducks Payback feeds. I start them out on Hatch to Hen, then switch to Organic Egg Layer Ration pellets when they are older. They also have areas to forage in, and get nearly all the food scraps/compost from my kitchen, which they love going through. Egg production is great, and I've never had a health problem with any of my hens or chicks, other than the occasional raccoon. Once in a while I give my hens an un-milled/straight grain type feed (like Scratch and Peck), but it is more as a treat since they tend to ignore the mineral mix that's added and just eat the grains only, which is kind of like feeding them high-carbo cookies or something. So, to make sure they get everything they need, their main feed ration is pellets since they can't pick and choose the high-carb grains, and instead get every nutrient in the pellet.
I use the organic pellets when they reach laying age because I don't want any gmo grains getting into the chickens that lay the eggs my children eat. There's a lot of unresolved controversy about gmos  and long-term effect on health, and until we don't have the same companies that make the stuff approving its' sale via the FDA, I can't take chances with my kid's health. I tend to look at info from Europe and such where big Ag isn't also on the same boards that approve the stuff for sale, and the gmo grains are getting banned in more and more places because of health concerns.

The unmilled feed, such as Scratch and Peck, is designed to be wetted, soaked, or fermented. There is no efficient way to feed it dry to the chickens. I use S&P and ferment it. Not any extra work really. I can't imagine feeding my hens anything else, and it is local (company is in my town).

So when you do get S&P, try soaking or fermenting it.

The unmilled feed, such as Scratch and Peck, is designed to be wetted, soaked, or fermented. There is no efficient way to feed it dry to the chickens. I use S&P and ferment it. Not any extra work really. I can't imagine feeding my hens anything else, and it is local (company is in my town).

So when you do get S&P, try soaking or fermenting it.

Plenty of people have fed mash for years without wetting it or fermenting it. It does take a bit more maintenance. I usually take out the leftover powder every few days & perhaps wet or mix that with something else or don't refill until they have eaten the minerals & fish meal etc. I know plenty of egg places that use this stuff & they don't wet it for thousands of chickens.

I use the organic pellets when they reach laying age because I don't want any gmo grains getting into the chickens that lay the eggs my children eat. There's a lot of unresolved controversy about gmos and long-term effect on health, and until we don't have the same companies that make the stuff approving its' sale via the FDA, I can't take chances with my kid's health. I tend to look at info from Europe and such where big Ag isn't also on the same boards that approve the stuff for sale, and the gmo grains are getting banned in more and more places because of health concerns.
I had the same problem with Scratch and Peck feed. My girls would eat all the seeds and leave the mineral mix behind and I was going thru feed really fast. That is when I started to soak the feed. I put feed in a bucket and cover with filtered water about 3/4 inch over the seed. Make sure to stir it as you add the water to avoid dry clumps. I use to let sit overnight but too many birds for that now. I let sit for a few hours. Nothing is wasted they eat everything. My young birds were very confused when I gave then dry feed one day.

Good points.

The fines that are left behind, in that or any feed aren't just minerals. Everything that is added besides the grains and legumes are usually in powder form. That includes essential amino acids like lysine and methionine, as well as all the added vitamins, minerals and probiotics. Reading the feed ingredient list, there may be 40 different ingredients in that powder. Most manufacturers add a bit extra for that very reason.

I currently feed scratch and peck brand layer food. I don't really want to do the foreman teen process, but above somebody said that they just soak it overnight or for a few hours. That sounds more like my speed, will this be enough soaking for the chickens to get what they need? The feed is very expensive and I can't continue feeding it if I don't find a way to make it last longer, but I also want them to get the full nutrition out of it. I feed raw unprocessed food to all my other animals, dog cat and tortoises :) and I like to do the same with my chickens.

Some soaking is better then no soaking. The morning meal has been soaked overnight and is usually fluffed up. It has cut down on waste. I have 34 chickens and a 40lb bag last about a week. I tried pellet food once and my hens had no idea what to do with it. I have been mixing oregano garlic and cayenne it mixes right in and they dont seem to mind.

I have tried it a couple times now and my chickens won't touch it. They are free roaming in the backyard, maybe they'll like it better in the winter when there's snow on the ground. Any ideas to get them to like it? They eat it just fine dry.

Hmm Mine like it better soaked. I use to feed them on low lipped plates. Now I feed them in an open trough. I feed them 2-3 times a day and only what they will eat each time. Mine do not like pellet food.
In the winter months I add bacon grease to their morning meal. They also like when I mix in yogurt.
If you are near Portland Urban Farm Store has a corn and soy free feed that is in pellet form.

Back
Top Bottom