Best laying Bantams?

Baldie- So glad to hear that about the Japanese. That was one I'm really interested in! That, a Mille d'fleur D'Uccles, and a Black Frizzled. Shelly D and Flowerpot have me thinking seriously about an OEGB, too. I want a barred rock but I'm not sure if I want it as standard or bantam. Do they go broody more as a bantam? I'm so pumped about this idea of adding Bantams to my small backyard flock. They have so much pizzazz.

My Araucana bantams (the real thing not EE's) are laying machines. Before winter set on I was getting 5 eggs a week for each hen. They are rare and hard to come by but so much fun.

Wyandotte bantams.

On any question on a positive attribute on bantams, the correct answer is .......wyandottes.

I have had Lavendar Bantom Ameraucanas since April 2008 and they lay nice Med size eggs and a lot of them. They are giving me more eggs than ever even in this cold in Mich. I have a light on in their coup and they get 20% game layer. Molting doesn't take long and they start laying again soon. None of them have gone broody I thought one was the other day but no she broke easily. I have 2 silkie hens to do the brooding when I want broody hens . They are laying a nice sized pink egg. It is real fun gathering eggs bright blue to green to pink. The eggs may be little but so is the amount they eat and Poop. All plusses in my book.

This thread is very interesting reading for me. I'd posted a similar question earlier about the best broody bantams and the results were silkies and cochins. Did not ask about egg laying abilities. I have two OEGB's and find them very nice birds. One more so than the other, very gentle and at times very... chatty. They get loud when they see a piece of bread. Neither of them laying yet. I have two Serama pullets and they were good layers. My Sebright was a good layer until the days got shorter. I don't keep light on them that often, i want them to have a break. They still lay every other day.
I will continue to read with interest.

ETA: They can also be sneaky about where they lay! None have gone broody.

Last edited:
Shelly;
Hope you're right about the broody oegb's. One should be laying but I don't think she is. Tonight however, I gave them water and there was an egg in one of the nest boxes that seems smaller than what I am used to. It had been in there for awhile beacuse it was cool but, it just seemed smaller. Maybe she finally has begun to lay?

Could be. My OEGB hen lays a larger egg than a normal bantam egg, but they are still only about half the size of a standard. It's hard to believe that little bitty hen can lay an egg so big! Plus she is an excellent mama. She raised 18 chicks this summer (all at the same time!!) and didn't lose a single one! I won't give her that many next summer though. I took the babies away about 2 months ago, and she still hasn't gotten over it!
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom