Best laying Bantams?

So far my I'v had good luck with the cochins daily and if she laid early in the day some days she'd lay later that evening too.

My barred rocks laid pretty good and so did my Jap's

I've got some OEGB but they are kinda young their not as consistant but that dosent mean others wouldn't be.....

Quote:
Congratulations, I am glad to hear from people who started breeding bantams for egg production.
I am going to do it too.
Would you specify more clearly how many Bantams you can feed from 50 lb bag in eight weeks? please?

pascopol

50 lb for 20 bantams about 8 weeks

Speaking of feed:
I use Layena- Purina Mills

for anyone who does not know PoultryPress.com paper
puts coupon for Purina Mills in every paper! $5 off second bag!
This is a help for me & I love that it is all natural!

Joanne

Thanks for info Joanne, I let my standard mutts I raise pick up the layer crumble they prefare, I found out they like Nutrena brand the most.

I fed Purina gamebird crumble to my coturnix quail in the past and they developed vitamine B deficiency, (caused by lack of vitamins B) they were raised on wire without any other food or access to soil, so I switched to different brand resaulted in immediate deficiency relief.

I believe the the cause was that Purina uses only plant material no animal products in their feed, what caused the problem with my quail.

After all chicken are omnivores like us, I wouldn't want to live on tofu and soy beans alone either.

I have quite a few bantam pullets, d'Uccle, Japanese, Dark Cornish, 2 Cochin, 1 Dutch and 1 Silkie. I get quite a lot of bantam eggs or until it got so dark early. I think the Japanese may lay the most (one is broody now) and the Cornish and Cochin may have the largest of bantam eggs as well as the tiny little Dutch girl who I think is still laying but I can't find her eggs.

Quote:
Slightly OT, but I get very annoyed in the grocery stores when I see egg cartons labeled that the birds are fed all vegetarian feed
roll.png
I made a comment about that to which my brother (no chicken knowledge whatsoever) said "Really? Why?" Even my grandmother (although she did use to raise chickens) said many years ago that eggs from the grocery store didn;t taste right--the hens needed access to bugs and worms and such.

Quote:
I don't see how that could possibly be enough food unless they are foraging a significant portion of their diet, or are babies. I have somewhere between 100-150 birds; they go through nearly one 50 lb bag per day--probably 3 bags in 4 days.

Back
Top Bottom