Best laying Bantams?

Does anybody have any experience with mini barred plymouth rocks? Everyone's experience with OEGB seem to be that they're nicer than the charts say. Maybe it's just the roos that can be pugnacious.

Kay;
I do not have an oegb cockerel or roo so I can't respond to that.
Nor do I have any experience with barred rock bantams.
Had a Sebright cockerel with a bad attitude. He "learned" to respect me but my youngest and my wife and that bird, did not get on well at times.
Currently, we have a Serama cockerel, a very fertile, tiny little guy, that gets along with everybody. No power play with him. He is not keen on being picked up but, when I do, I give him a little squeeze and he likes the warmth! He makes a little giggling sound that is funny to hear. I rub him up against my face. My sebright pullet is bigger than he is! Of course he thinks he's Don Juan!

I have found my Faverolle Bantams do lay quite well too along with the Amercuana and EE Bantams. Those three really rank up the top choices of bantam egg laying breeds.

I honestly dont know about the Leghorn Bantams......

I dunno about *numbers* of eggs -- but right now, my araucanas lay much *larger* eggs than my other bantams.

Also, I've got bantam penciled rocks -- which are laying iiiiiiiiiiitty bitty eggs right now, but they're pullets just now coming into lay. They are cute little buggers.
smile.png

Quote:
Shelley;Were the chicks hers or was she a step mom?

ETA: Were the chicks all OEGB's or others?

I believe there were 5 or 6 that were 'hers', the others were 'adopted'
lol.png
She was the only OEGB hen I had at that time, the other chicks were aracauna bantam mixes, silkie/birchen game mixes, and standard cochin...all mixed with blue splash dutch (the only daddy at that time!).

Here is a pic of her with some of them (they wouldn't all get close enough to fit!). She loved every minute of it!
PICT0053.jpg

Quote:
I have 8 red pyle OEGB cockerels, they are not mean to me, but they will forever be known as 'the bullies' to my 4-year-old!! They think they are 10 feet tall and bullet proof when it comes to other roos. They even took on my red jungle fowl cockerel when I first brought him home!! But my hen is the sweetest thing in the world. My experience is that they are not aggressive to people, but they are quite bossy to other chickens.

I decided to revive this thread since it's about time to order and I'm wondering about Bantam Brahmas. Seems from reading everything here sometimes they're nice, sometimes not. I think their coloring is beautiful, but if they're so low to the ground like in some pics, it's kind of strange looking. Anybody want to weigh in?

Back
Top Bottom