Bird Aviary Chat Thread

Pics

Birdlover 13

Songster
5 Years
Jun 13, 2015
South Africa
Hi
I'm building an aviary for finches and budgies and I thought it would be nice to have a chat thread for bird aviaries where we can share pics, ideas, stories, tips and advice.

So does anyone perhaps have tips for a beginner and keeping an aviary...

Sounds awesome! I love aviary birds! I don't currently have any, but I kept finches in the past and they were a lot of fun. I guess what I remember the most is how often they produced babies, whether I wanted them to or not, and how they would "meep" whenever there was a loud sound or a light was turned on. One of the cutest things ever. The chicks would let you hold them while the nest was cleaned and the adults each had their own nest and half the enclosure to call their own (we had two pair).

So be advised, birds will breed, whether you want them too or not! Also, Zebra Finches prefer a warm environment, hints why they can produce year-round instead of on a schedule.

I actually have budgies too. Such spunky and optimistic birds. I suggest a big cage and like the finches, they will breed either you want them to or you don't. They are very curious and playful birds so add enough toys for them to play with. They also love fruit so every once in a while give them an apple, banana, or mango. This will totally make them happy. They do chirp a lot but it is not annoying or anything. They eat a lot too especially if you have a few so always make sure you have enough food at hand. They don't need much which is what makes them such good pets. One of the most common problems I have with them are the mites. Always make sure to have spray near just in case they catch it. Spray them once a while to prevent it though. Other than that they are usually healthy and have long lives. Have fun with your new birds and I hope you give them a loving home.

I've just recently moved my "indoor" budgie (my oldest budgie with whom she/he shared died) out into an aviary with some new "friends". I like having my birds inside so I can see and talk to them, but I think they appreciate the space in the aviary and the friendship of their "own kind".

For anyone getting an aviary who hasn't yet bought it, I'd recommend a safety door. It really takes the stress out of changing their "stuff", nobody can escape.

My budgies like eucalyptus branches. They use them as perches, and they can nibble on the bark. Endive was also a favourite treat of my budgie who died. She loved it.

Thanks!!!

Has anyone had any expieriance on keeping mixed species of finches?

I'm planning on shaft tails, javas and zebra finches.
Will this work?

A couple of years ago my wife asked for a aviary so I looked around and found a used aluminum framed, stainless wire aviary with sliding plastic panels. It was small at 6 by 4 feet but it worked for keeping a few tiels but it wasn't really designed for outside use or small birds.

After having the aviary for a few months it was time to get a aviary that worked for us. We wanted a rustic look so I decided it was time to build one.

first I built the 8 by 8 on the right then after my wife got a few English budgies that annoying the tiels I built a 12 by 8 so they could be separated

as time went on and the budgie math's got out of hand we decided it was time for a little expansion

So I built another aviary 12 by 8. its easy when you are copying something you have already built so this only took about 8hrs to build.

We relocated the tiels then went back to sort out the budgies

The original 12 by 8 and the 8 by 8 were joined at a angle to make a single aviary.

The center section we left with a mesh roof so the birds could bath during a rain. We also added a fountain in the area so the birds could bath. (couldn't find a picture of that)

The aviaries are all in a semi circle as we sit on the deck and watch the birds when ever we can

We like to keep the aviaries looking natural. Some birds came with clipped wings so we had to create natural ladders to get the off the floor

Tiels will tear up a plant and English budgies will decimate one so they no longer get the nice plants. Fresh grown lettuce buds and other plants are now placed in trays and after 30 minutes removed so they can recover.

We also hang lots of toys to keep the younger bird from tormenting the older ones

Low voltage night lights are on a auto timer (there really trailer side markers)

Most of this looks different now as we have learnt what works and what had to be re-designed.

Due to a snake problem and a loss of chicks and eggs all of the mesh had to be replaced with 1/4 instead of 1/2 (horrible job to do especially with the birds In the aviary)
All of the bird boxes had to be redesigned to stop birds from being able to sit on top of someone else's box (will post a photo of the new design as it seems to work).
button quail had to be added to keep the floor clean especially as young budgies think its a great game to scoop the seed and pellets out of the feeders
Some branches had to be moved around as it was impossible to catch birds during day light

So about 2 years in and with the snake problem fixed we now have about budgies breeding like rabbits, Tiels that are starting to breed (snakes really upset them) and quail all over the place cleaning up. oh and a few finches because we nuts. I haven't purchased a bird for well over a year (maybe 2). we tend to trade with local people who have the same interests and one of our friends wanted budgies in exchange for gouldian, society, zebra finches and now there breeding and multiplying so it will soon be time to make a trip to a store to lower the numbers before they get out of hand..

Its all my daughters fault. It started with one CL mustache parakeet for 50 bucks 5 years ago. He like to clean chicks and de-shaft there feathers to earn his keep.

Back
Top Bottom