Bird Aviary Chat Thread

Pics

Birdlover 13

Songster
5 Years
Jun 13, 2015
South Africa
Hi
I'm building an aviary for finches and budgies and I thought it would be nice to have a chat thread for bird aviaries where we can share pics, ideas, stories, tips and advice.

So does anyone perhaps have tips for a beginner and keeping an aviary...

A couple of years ago my wife asked for a aviary so I looked around and found a used aluminum framed, stainless wire aviary with sliding plastic panels. It was small at 6 by 4 feet but it worked for keeping a few tiels but it wasn't really designed for outside use or small birds.

After having the aviary for a few months it was time to get a aviary that worked for us. We wanted a rustic look so I decided it was time to build one.

first I built the 8 by 8 on the right then after my wife got a few English budgies that annoying the tiels I built a 12 by 8 so they could be separated

as time went on and the budgie math's got out of hand we decided it was time for a little expansion

So I built another aviary 12 by 8. its easy when you are copying something you have already built so this only took about 8hrs to build.

We relocated the tiels then went back to sort out the budgies

The original 12 by 8 and the 8 by 8 were joined at a angle to make a single aviary.

The center section we left with a mesh roof so the birds could bath during a rain. We also added a fountain in the area so the birds could bath. (couldn't find a picture of that)

The aviaries are all in a semi circle as we sit on the deck and watch the birds when ever we can

We like to keep the aviaries looking natural. Some birds came with clipped wings so we had to create natural ladders to get the off the floor

Tiels will tear up a plant and English budgies will decimate one so they no longer get the nice plants. Fresh grown lettuce buds and other plants are now placed in trays and after 30 minutes removed so they can recover.

We also hang lots of toys to keep the younger bird from tormenting the older ones

Low voltage night lights are on a auto timer (there really trailer side markers)

Most of this looks different now as we have learnt what works and what had to be re-designed.

Due to a snake problem and a loss of chicks and eggs all of the mesh had to be replaced with 1/4 instead of 1/2 (horrible job to do especially with the birds In the aviary)
All of the bird boxes had to be redesigned to stop birds from being able to sit on top of someone else's box (will post a photo of the new design as it seems to work).
button quail had to be added to keep the floor clean especially as young budgies think its a great game to scoop the seed and pellets out of the feeders
Some branches had to be moved around as it was impossible to catch birds during day light

So about 2 years in and with the snake problem fixed we now have about budgies breeding like rabbits, Tiels that are starting to breed (snakes really upset them) and quail all over the place cleaning up. oh and a few finches because we nuts. I haven't purchased a bird for well over a year (maybe 2). we tend to trade with local people who have the same interests and one of our friends wanted budgies in exchange for gouldian, society, zebra finches and now there breeding and multiplying so it will soon be time to make a trip to a store to lower the numbers before they get out of hand..

Its all my daughters fault. It started with one CL mustache parakeet for 50 bucks 5 years ago. He like to clean chicks and de-shaft there feathers to earn his keep.

thanks for the likes. Im still working on the design for a perfect aviary that maybe one day I will sell.

As a florida aviary I tend to over design the wind load which adds extra cost but it also means that the aviaries can be loaded on a trailer and moved. I wouldn't use this design in colder climates but for the few nights that the temperature drops we have sheets that are cut over the mesh. We also have heat lamps and oil filled radiators for the worst nights. Its not a good idea to heat a aviary as the bird will not produce downy feathers but florida weather can change 50 degrees one day to the next so the birds have not had time to acclimatized.

As this is a chat about aviaries I thought it would be a good idea to talk about design

1/ mother nature

location and weather has a lot to do with the design. This includes where in the yard you plan to set up the aviary. Some of my aviaries are under a large oak tree so they get natural shade thus I have used clear panels on the roof. Other areas have no shade so the roof is white to reflect the heat from the sun.

Florida is a high wind load state so every thing is screwed together. Extra bracing has been added to stop the aviary from twisting and the base is secured to the floor with metal anchors. Extra mesh windows have been added on the rear to allow the air to escape in the hope that the roof will stay on during a hurricane.

2/ ground prep

I really like the deep litter method in the base of the aviary. That means that the base need to be at least 4" thick so the litter doesn't touch the mesh. Deep litter also requires workers to keep the litter healthy. Drainage is also important and our first aviary cost us 10 tiels before we found and corrected the problem with mold. (area had a swimming pool years ago and there was a ground sheet buried under the woodchips that didn't allow for drainage this lead to mold)

To prep the ground make sure there is no weed mat and if possible remove all plant growth then sprinkle lime and rake into the soil. I use cheap wood chips then spray with a good quality aviary cleaner then rake the chips and repeat a few times. all seed chaff is tipped from the feeder straight on to the floor where button quail eat any left over seed and scrap the chaff into the floor. We also remove some flooring from a established aviary and add the bugs to the new floor after a few weeks as the insects will assist in keeping a health floor. (great source of insects if you plan to keep insect eating finches). It takes a while to get the right balance so you have to adjust by giving high protein quail food until the floor becomes its own little eco system.

3/ predators

depending on where you live the mesh should be able to protect the birds in the aviary. The general rules are that the mesh can not be small enough to trap a birds claws or large enough that they can get there head stuck. As the aviary is built from 2x4 that means you can have 2 types of mesh if required. I have wanted to try a 1/2 mesh on the inside for the birds and window screen on the outside to keep the mosquitos off the birds but I haven't had a chance yet. I have used 1/4 inch to stop snakes but its harder to add and remove feeder cups than a 1/2 mesh. A aviary should have at least on solid wall so any predator can not run around the aviary scaring the birds.

4/ cost

you don't have to start huge if you design it to be added to later. Try to work with easy to buy materials and avoid odd sizes. Most hardware stores have a internet page so you can price check the materials. A 7' 3" wide by 6' 9" deep aviary (base) costs me about $400 on material the reason the sizes seem odd is due to the expense of the roof panels. 6' '9" works with a available 8' poly carbonate roof panel. A 12 x 8 which is really 11' 4" x 6' 9" (base) costs about $550. Either can be built in a day using power tools. I have a chop saw, battery powered drill, battery power sawsal and a air-powered stapler. I only use torq drive screws as they can be removed even years later. cross drive screws tend to strip there heads so try to avoid them. I dislike nails as they always seem to come loose as the glue doesn't stick to pressure treated lumber like it does to untreated.

5/ mesh prep.

vinegar wash all galvanized mesh before use to remove the acid they use clean the mesh. I haven't found a stainless mesh with in my budget but your budget may be different from mine.

6/ night lights

most hardware stores or online can sell a cheap 12vac garden light transformer including a timer. Cheap trailer side markers that use bulbs that are rated for 12vdc will happily run on ac but the expensive led ones will not work. Protect all wiring as birds can chew the insulation of the wires.

7/ ease of use

things like water dishes, food storage bins (50lb), hanging feeders will all make life easier. On my next build I want a mini kitchen with running water, power and a flat surface that's enclosed in mesh so I can go back and forth with out leaving the aviary (also would like a hand feeding area) but that may be just a pipe dream.

8/ have fun

Its a hobby. If you are breeding for money then a aviary is not the way to go. If it becomes work that normally means that its a bad design. Adding a tap inside the aviary with a coil hose can save hours of work (I think that every time I have to enter and leave the aviary as work) so storage inside the aviary, a tap even if that's just a hose pipe buried under the aviary, a bin for nest box material and easy to open nest boxes means more time watching the birds then working on them.

Im sure other people can add to this or disagree with some of it. I like to hear other peoples thoughts as im not a expert and they may have a idea that I can incorporate.

Here's my parrot aviairy :)
It has an inside part too!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
I've just recently moved my "indoor" budgie (my oldest budgie with whom she/he shared died) out into an aviary with some new "friends". I like having my birds inside so I can see and talk to them, but I think they appreciate the space in the aviary and the friendship of their "own kind".

For anyone getting an aviary who hasn't yet bought it, I'd recommend a safety door. It really takes the stress out of changing their "stuff", nobody can escape.

My budgies like eucalyptus branches. They use them as perches, and they can nibble on the bark. Endive was also a favourite treat of my budgie who died. She loved it.

This is a budgie nest box Gpop1 built me(I'm the crazy wife). I decorated it.. did not last long, the budgies have undecorated it for me. They enjoyed the plaster door and window outlines a LOT!. So I left all others plain.

I call these the painted ladies. The smaller ones on the right are for English budgies and larger on the left are for cockatiels. The roofs remove completely so we can get in and out of the box easy. The boxes are set on a shelf and are removable. When we had them attached to the walls we struggled to keep them clean but it's easier now with them just sitting on shelves. We remove the entire box, dump the old shavings, add fresh and put back on the shelf.

The houses are painted in non toxic watered down acrylic craft paints. They have held their colors really well and I love that each one is a unique color. The roof is flush on the back side to set against the walls but the front has eaves to keep birds from sitting on the top of the boxes and arguing with those in the box or perched outside the opening. We breed budgies in a flock which you are not meant to do. So we compensated for arguments with a special design box. The cockatiel box also has eaves.

My experience
Parakeets or Australian parakeets to be more exact are vicious little guys, these are also what most people refer to as budgies. They will kill other birds especially if they feel their nest is in danger. We used to have parakeets until one killed cockatiel chicks even while the cockatiel parents were trying to fight her off. Now we have English budgies. English budgies are a different bird than parakeets in temperament and size.

English budgies and parakeets look alike. The difference is that the English are bred for show, they are much larger and tend not to be as vicious, they also tend to be more heavily feathered or longer feathered. They are more easily tamed than parakeets too. Due to being handled by show judges, English have been bred to be more docile and calm. Each bird is a individual, of course, but as a stereotype if you want a pet that looks like a parakeet, do research, find a breeder and get a English. Broody English hens can be as vicious as parakeets.

In our large aviary we had (just took some to the pet store so it's been thinned out), a pair of moustache parakeets, 24 zebra finches, 70 adult English and various chicks. We also have button quail as ground cleaners.

Cockatiels ARE good for mixed aviaries, unless someone else picks on them. They will not pick on other birds. Only the male cockatiels will argue but I have never had any out of my flock of 30 draw blood on each other. They argue if another male gets too close to their nest boxes. Even if you do not breed cockatiels, the old ones enjoy sitting in a box and on cool nights nearly all of our birds will go into their boxes for the night. A few will take "sentry" duty while everyone else is snug and warm.

Zebras can be really nasty to other small birds. A male zebra nearly killed a cut throat male finch because he dared to look at their nest. I now house Zebras by themselves, only zebras with them. Zebras will argue and fight amongst themselves over nest material or good nest sites. I have not had any kill each other yet, but I can imagine it CAN happen. Zebras will go into a nest at night. They are not perch sleepers but enjoy being snug and safe. Society finches also go into their nests to roost at night.

Personally I love Zebras and I never thought I would say that! They are very smart little birds and easily tamed. In my English budgie aviary when zebras tried using nest baskets the budgies destroyed the nests as quick as they could build them. Finally the zebras, and this did not take long, figured out if they build between OCCUPIED budgie nest boxes, the budgie hens inadvertently guard the zebra nests from other budgies out to do damage. It's only young budgies who do the damage, they are just curious and playful and mean no harm. If you have males and females, the population WILL explode with zebras, weather you want it to or not.

This is my box of Ugly :)
We put the zebra chicks into the budgie aviary to separate them from our breeder adults after they weaned. They immediately proceeded to build nests and populate the budgie aviary with chicks. When we pulled the zebras from the budgies to take to the pet shop we deal with, we had to pull the chicks too and we are currently hand feeding them. All 11... And let me tell you, NOTHING poops more than a box of finch chicks. I love hand feeding finch chicks!! It will be hard selling these chicks. by the time they are weaned they will be mobbing our hands and flying all over us.

Last edited:
That sound like a nice set jak2002003 and there's days when I wish we would have gone with all males. I would like to get back to a point where we know each bird by name like it was in the beginning when one or two nest boxes with eggs was a big deal and the aviary required very little work.

I would like to get back to a point where we know each bird by name
I only have 8 budgies and I gave them all names, but I'm not sure I could remember who is who.... :D (except for the one who used to live inside with my other budgie who died. That bird's name is Miranda, but since he/she moved into the aviary, I'm pretty sure that Miranda is a boy)

Back
Top Bottom