Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Anyone? Looking for a dozen Quality BCM eggs to hatch.

you have a little time to explore and find a source, I don't think you want hatching eggs in the mail for a few weeks yet, being from Maine and all,,,,it's a temperature thing

you might consider starting to click on profiles, there are a few of the regulars that post here that have websites and sell eggs, chicks, etc

you have a little time to explore and find a source, I don't think you want hatching eggs in the mail for a few weeks yet, being from Maine and all,,,,it's a temperature thing

you might consider starting to click on profiles, there are a few of the regulars that post here that have websites and sell eggs, chicks, etc
unkadan did you use to be on BP.com?

I am happy to share that my pullet's egg is finally darkening up and of a respectable size. Now if only I could hatch some out!

Dchicken207 you tried getting birds from me at one point but the woman before you bought them all. Sorry again about that. There are some really nice bird keepers in this and the other Marans thread. There are also a few people who raise them in Maine who are not on line. If you are patient you could get hatched or grown outs later this year. I believe that PaulaJon in the Maine thread has some. I don't know what they rate on the scale or anything but I believe she has them and there were some listed in CL as well as Tamworth NH.

Anyone? Looking for a dozen Quality BCM eggs to hatch.

PawHead Poultry has FBCMs, Cottage Hill line. Check their website, I think they have eggs right now. The guy who runs it seems very helpful , responds to emails/calls in a timely fashion. If you paid extra for expedited shipping I would think the Maine temps wouldn't be anymore detrimental than already exists with shipped eggs . . . using a broody hen?

I'll be getting his LS (Bradshaw) and FBCM day olds in a month or so, next time I have a broody - already sent my deposit -

Last edited:
If a marans egg is too light for the standard, is it not considered a marans, or just a bad quality one?
To my understanding you technically still have a marans, just one not meeting the standard. Must be at least a 4 on the marans egg scale to meet the standard. If you have some that lay a lighter egg, they have likely been crossbred and diluted down the line at some point by another breed.

To my understanding you technically still have a marans, just one not meeting the standard. Must be at least a 4 on the marans egg scale to meet the standard. If you have some that lay a lighter egg, they have likely been crossbred and diluted down the line at some point by another breed.
Matters not in terms of exhibition though. We judges don't have time to wait for the birds to lay before determining placements.

I was looking over my chicks last night, and it is so amazing how much they change as they grow... they have gone from scruffy looking little things to some nice fat round black and copper feathering :)..... I do have one who's comb looks something like a mountain range with about 500 sprigs, i guess he isn't going to be around much longer.

I am even beginning to be able to sort the wheatans from the BTB's as well :)

I purchased this FBCM about 6 - 7 weeks ago. It is supposed to be female and 3 months old at the time which would make it about 4.5 months old now. I believe it is more likely to be about 2.5 - 3 months old now. Can anyone identify if it truly female?
Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom