Black Copper Marans discussion thread

SC, the Sprigs on the males will usually show up sooner, it is also possible to see a sprig on the young pullets also. I check for sprigs when I take them out of the brooder pens. If you cull the fowl with sprigs you will eventually breed away from it.

Right now none are showing sprigs, but all 4 seem to have that Penedesenca influence. Not pronounced points, but 3 subtle little bumps at the rear of the blades. The feet look good, the feathering on the feet looks good, and the combs that were curly at a few weeks old are straightening out. Now, with the color coming in, I'm keeping my fingers crossed. So far the hackles are all copper, I hope they stay that way. The alpha of the group is a big pretty boy, but also has the most copper on his breast. I'll get you some good pictures of the boys and girls to get your thoughts

Can anyone tell me why this happened? this Roo is about 9 months old,
Im sorry if its been discussed before, I have been reading through old post but have not been able to read all 12000!

thank you for the critique, I'm always trying to learn! This is not a bird I was planning on using for breeding my BCM hens with, I was really just curious as to what causes the color variation? I'm trying to figure out what causes the back feathers to be gold instead of copper? I've never had this happen before. Would it be from impure lines or...? This guy was from a hatch I did last year, I purchased hatching eggs from a gal in TX and he is on of a few that hatched...

I will give you a complete critique, Back appears to be real short
Lower body soft feathering is brown, signifying tainted BC blood
Low station
High tail caused by back being short.
Hackle real nice Copper Color.
Comb appears to have problems.
thank you for the critique, I'm always trying to learn! This is not a bird I was planning on using for breeding my BCM hens with, I was really just curious as to what causes the color variation? I'm trying to figure out what causes the back feathers to be gold instead of copper? I've never had this happen before. Would it be from impure lines or...? This guy was from a hatch I did last year, I purchased hatching eggs from a gal in TX and he is one of a few that hatched...

Last edited:
Quote:
I understand what you are going through with the Marans. I bought several dozen eggs two year ago just for a test on Marans eggs from different people claiming to have good BC Marans. We kept no male and only seven females from all that we hatched. When buying sight unseen there is no way we can see what we might be able to get.
Be very careful with the lower body brown feathering.

Back
Top Bottom