Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Very nice! Don, She can take my place as my Blue Coppers love interest!
wink.png

I thought I broke my roo's leg yesterday when I moved their tractor. Somehow his leg got pinned under the back edge when I started to drag it. What an awful feeling. He is limping a little today but was out in the yard for a solid couple of hours and moved around pretty well under his own steam.

I am glad he is ok! I am getting ready to move my tractor with 5 week old turkey chicks in it. We will be extra careful!

Nice looking hen, I have recently hatched out my first eggs laid by my Black Copper Marans, I got 5 hatch out of 8 eggs. 4 are roosters and 1 is a hen or so it looks at the moment.

I just got my first maran chicks a few months ago. Now that they are fully feathered I've noticed that they feel extremely soft. And feel almost velvety compared to the other chicken breeds. Has anyone else noticed this or know why their feathers are so soft? Sorry if this is a silly question, just curious.
I have pullets like this.... very flat black color, no sheen, soft feeling feathers. They are very pretty. My favorites.

Y'all interested in knowing how bad the heat is here? I don't think this is going to be good for my birds at all. I am seriously scared I will be losing a few.

Last week we were about 112 degrees. We brought our older chickens in the house in crates. For the younger ones we froze 2 liter bottles of water and placed them around the coop. Ice cubes in the watering dish and we put a shallow kiddie pool to cool their feet. We mist throughout the day and also offer frozen treats.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom