Black Copper Marans discussion thread

Posting to all Marans threads. Seeking location of high quality pure Fugate Cuckoo Marans studcock to head flock of same hens. Need NPIP. Please reply to :
[email protected] . Please feel free to send this email around the fancy. Cock must be well mannered. 2-3 yr. Old is fine. Must be virile. Need clean shanks. Cock needs to be from dark egg laying dam.
This studcock is for a very good friend of mine

Thanks so much,
Karen

Last edited:
The more I look at FBCM chicks, the more I am sure this is a cross I'd some kind. I saw the breeder pen it came from though. It was very secure (so no frisky neighbors). I'm not sure how it would have been crossed with anything. I even texted the breeder to confirm it was a FBCM. I guess only time will tell. Here is a better image showing its true color, still not what it's supposed to be.

RoseViewFarm,

Your chick looks to be a cross to me - beak color and hatch down pattern is wrong for a BCM. I have read / heard that on rare occasions a BCM chick will be born with a copper dot on its head which is supposedly a sign of purity. On the plus side the chick appears very healthy so it will be interesting to see how it colors our as an adult.

What was the breeders response to your text?

Take Care,
Keith

RoseViewFarm,

Your chick looks to be a cross to me - beak color and hatch down pattern is wrong for a BCM. I have read / heard that on rare occasions a BCM chick will be born with a copper dot on its head which is supposedly a sign of purity. On the plus side the chick appears very healthy so it will be interesting to see how it colors our as an adult.

What was the breeders response to your text?

Take Care,
Keith

Keith,

She confirmed that it was from the FBCM pen and was indeed a FBCM. I am now very curious to see how it colors out as well. I was in the breeder barn myself and I really don't see how it could be an oops breeding because everything is very secure, but who knows!

Thanks!

Morgan

I'm curious of color in be FBCM too. My chick does not have much white on it at all. This is from about a week or so ago.

Any ideas why mine is mostly black. She said the breeding was Little Pedler which I think is supposed to be decent breeding right so it should have a better chance at being correct. Thanks all

She confirmed that it was from the FBCM pen and was indeed a FBCM. I am now very curious to see how it colors out as well. I was in the breeder barn myself and I really don't see how it could be an oops breeding because everything is very secure, but who knows!

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but...I noticed your chick DOES have correct foot feathering, and my Flower Hen that I mentioned earlier had no feathers and very yellow legs.

Very interesting, though. Perhaps you just have an odd coloration chick! Please post pictures as it grows?

Edit to add:

I did a quick search and found a blog that someone else had a red headed chick, as well. It says they had a mix of blue, blue copper, black, and black copper Marans. Doesn't specify which one this chick was, though. http://suchandsuchfarm.com/oh-hello-marans/
img_6281.jpg

Last edited:
I know this wasn't addressed to me, but...I noticed your chick DOES have correct foot feathering, and my Flower Hen that I mentioned earlier had no feathers and very yellow legs. Very interesting, though. Perhaps you just have an odd coloration chick! Please post pictures as it grows? Edit to add: I did a quick search and found a blog that someone else had a red headed chick, as well. It says they had a mix of blue, blue copper, black, and black copper Marans. Doesn't specify which one this chick was, though. http://suchandsuchfarm.com/oh-hello-marans/
img_6281.jpg
I was wondering if yours had feathered legs, I just forgot to ask! I'm not very familiar with Flower Hens. I absolutely will post updates on the red head! That chick in the picture looks pretty darn close doesn't it. I know she also had a pen of French Blue Coppers as well, but those chicks are easily identified as blues.
Well maybe there's hope after all! Time will certainly tell!

Posting to all Marans threads. Seeking location of high quality pure Fugate Cuckoo Marans studcock to head flock of same hens. Need NPIP. Please reply to :
[email protected] . Please feel free to send this email around the fancy. Cock must be well mannered. 2-3 yr. Old is fine. Must be virile. Need clean shanks. Cock needs to be from dark egg laying dam.
This studcock is for a very good friend of mine

Thanks so much,
Karen

Talked to my friend again . he's decided he's not going to go with the cuckoo Marans. so thanks for much anyway.
Best,
Karen

I'm curious of color in be FBCM too. My chick does not have much white on it at all. This is from about a week or so ago.

Any ideas why mine is mostly black. She said the breeding was Little Pedler which I think is supposed to be decent breeding right so it should have a better chance at being correct. Thanks all

Your chick is gorgeous. The less white the better, darker chicks usually turn out with more correct feathering than chicks with more white on their hatch down.

Well I went for Orpingtons and came home with 2 Blue CMs and 1 Black CM (or so I thought...) this chick doesn't look like most of the chicks I've seen posted here (though I've only read through 20-30 pages).

Does this look like a correct chick to you guys? Would you mind giving me your opinions on the blue chicks as well?

It is a bcm, it is just a VERY mossy bcm. This chick must have genes diluting it's melanin. Bcm's are more commonly over melanized than under but it is still possible to get chicks like this. She'll probably grow up to have copper splotches on her wings.

Back
Top Bottom