Blue Buffalo dog food vs. 4 health dog food

I used to feed Acana, but it is only carried on the other side of the city - about 45 minutes away. Locally I can get Fromm four star nutritionals grain-free, and I rotate between the fish-based and the beef based formulas since I have one dog who can't have chicken.

They seem to be doing pretty well on it so far.

I agree, I avoid blue buffalo, there's seems to be a lot of barfing dogs on blue buffalo, and I didn't care for how they talk down to me on their website and commercials, I went through a whole best dog food thing a few years ago, I settled on taste of the wild because my dogs do so well on it, the recalls used to scare me, but then I realized there's lots of recalls. I stockpile bags but don't open then for a few weeks, that way if there's a problem, I'll know before I open them, there are probably better ones but for now I am happy, best thing is to get small bags and try them, educate yourself, and stop buying dog foods with corn in it at least, my dogs were always having digestive upsets with corn in their foods.

I used to work at a dog and cat food testing facility. And believe it or not, a lot of the foods with grain in them are better for your dog than the grain-free foods. My dog had a skin condition and I tried multiple grain - free foods and nothing helped. I've been low on money lately so I've had her on Purina for months and her skin problem is gone. All of my animals have done really well on Purina: cows, goats, chickens, ducks, cats, and dogs.

As for by-products, they contain vitamin b, which your pets need.

I used to work at a dog and cat food testing facility. And believe it or not, a lot of the foods with grain in them are better for your dog than the grain-free foods. My dog had a skin condition and I tried multiple grain - free foods and nothing helped. I've been low on money lately so I've had her on Purina for months and her skin problem is gone. All of my animals have done really well on Purina: cows, goats, chickens, ducks, cats, and dogs.

As for by-products, they contain vitamin b, which your pets need.
True. It's also often the source of the grain that matters. A dog may find it easier to digest rice than corn.
The thing that bothers me the most is that not a whole lot of companies have a source as to why "high quality" ingredients are better. I was reading a review on "dog food adviser" which said that the food in question had meat by-product in it. It said that meat by-product is nutritionally identical to meat, but with higher protein. They continued to say that, because meat by-product is cheap and mass produced, it is a low quality ingredient. It said nothing about how it would affect your pet's health, because there is absolutely no evidence that it does. If it doesn't effect my dog, why should I pay more for "high quality" food? It's sort of like wearing designer clothing. You don't really need to, but you're shamed into feeling insignificant or like a bad owner if you don't buy it. So you fork out $25 for a 5 pound bag of food, or $250 for a pair a jeans.

I eat hot dogs sometimes. Hot dogs are made of the same thing as dog food, meat by-product. If I can put those "low quality" ingredients in my own body, why can't my dog eat it?

I would also like to add, if anyone has noticed, Walmart has started stocking a lot more Purina in the past year. That's because they did a bunch of tests to see what which brands dogs prefer. Many of the dogs chose Purina. It was cool to see this firsthand. I had stopped at Walmart a few weeks before to get dog food and they barely had any Purina. A few weeks after, they were completely stocked up.

I don't think it's the by products as much as it's the omission of quality meat, and whether the by products are from diseased animals. And of course Purina tastes better than better quality foods, I personally enjoy cake over carrots, but we can't always be eating cake, Purina puts a lot of work and time in making food taste good, not into making sure it's what an animal needs. I personally think low protein dog food promotes cancers, and other diseases, but that's why there is such a variety, we all get to choose what to feed our dogs.

Tried taste of the wild and it was a no go. Went back to Pro Plan. Unfortunately, after just one meal of taste of the wild he is still itching. Has anyone tried 4health after taste of the wild and have been successful?

My Min Pin is allergic to corn. We tried all of the "higher end" dog foods at Wal~Mart that didn't have corn as an ingredient. We had problems with most of them. Any brand that didn't cause her to itch cost too much for my purse.

Then we found 4-Health..... She loves it, we can afford it and her coat is silky smooth and shiny.

I guess you can tell we like 4-Health !!

Isn't it funny, one dog food works for me, one works for you, gotta find what works for your dog, I had fed 4 health before, it was a decent enough dog food, I had no problems, I just tried taste of the wild and then my dogs wouldn't go back to 4 Health. It's really affordable too.

we switched our rotties to the 4 health with great success. I have found their grain free line well worth the cost and they also offer a line for sensitive stomachs, though I think this is in the line that has grain in it, though this might make the transition easier on them to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom