Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

Pics
Thanks for asking :) My daughter thought it was today, turns out it's Sunday. Kepp ya posted!

Even the most organized Secretary, can have an off day!
caf.gif

It depends if they're hatchery based or exhibition quality. Hatchery stock are geared more for egg production. Overall, their production isn't quite is good as RIR or rocks. They'll lay medium sized eggs until first adult molt. After that, eggs will be larger, but not quite as prolific.

Thanks I was wondering what kinda egg production I should expect out of the wyandotte hens?

Kinda hard to tell. They still look a little wet.

These are from my second hatch of BLRW from online egg purchases through BYC. My previous were obviously splash chicks due to being so light in color when hatched. The gal that I think I got them from said she hatches dark blues (I bought from 3 breeders so thats what the I think comes from). What do you think these are blues or blacks?

Hello,
I'm a little confused about the splash/blue thing. I thought she was just a light blue, but now i'm not sure. I know she's not SQ, just wanted to see if anyone had any info about BLR: I was told If you breed a dark with a light half will be dark blue and half will be light blue. Sorry, new to this! Thanks for your help.

full grown.

pullet

the day we got her:

Blue x Blue does not breed true. You will get 25% splash, 50% blue, 25% black.

Splash x Blue = 50%splash, 50% blue

Blue x Black = 50% blue, 50% black

splash x black = 100% blue

Sometimes it is very hard to tell the splash & light blue apart, or dark blue and black. You really have to breed with them to know for sure. Hope that helps!

I like the before and after pictures of your pullet. These should be saved by anyone who freaks at the juvenile feathering of their blue laced red. I have seen time and time again people who are ready to throw the baby out with the bath water before their bird has aquired adult feathering. She's a splash, by the way.
hugs.gif
What buff bird with slate undercoat? My knowledge doesn't go much beyond welsummers, buckeyes and wyandottes. The rosecomb is throwing me off...

Hello,
I'm a little confused about the splash/blue thing. I thought she was just a light blue, but now i'm not sure. I know she's not SQ, just wanted to see if anyone had any info about BLR: I was told If you breed a dark with a light half will be dark blue and half will be light blue. Sorry, new to this! Thanks for your help.

full grown.

pullet

the day we got her:

Thanks for the info! The buff is a BO (mom) and BLR wyandotte (dad)mix! She has white legs and a rose comb. I like her traits, she is so cute and gigantic!

I like the before and after pictures of your pullet. These should be saved by anyone who freaks at the juvenile feathering of their blue laced red. I have seen time and time again people who are ready to throw the baby out with the bath water before their bird has aquired adult feathering. She's a splash, by the way.
hugs.gif
What buff bird with slate undercoat? My knowledge doesn't go much beyond welsummers, buckeyes and wyandottes. The rosecomb is throwing me off...

Not sure since it's a little dark but they look like blues. Here are a few of our peeps. There are 2 splash in the back, a black on the left and a blue on the right. Our blacks have a cream belly color.

Thank you for that! I think I have a but of each then. With 5 of them two would maybe be splash, 1 blue and 1 black? At least based on what I see in your pic.

I had posted when Francesca was about 8 weeks old and thought I was getting a BLRW. Everyone here told me she was a GLW. ( was told all the chicks were BLRW from the gal who bought them from a breeder on BYC and then she had to find new homes for them due to personal circumstances. I wrote to the breeder and he said her colors would change as she molted! I don't think that would happen) One day I would still love to have a BLRW to add to my mixed flock of girls. I think they are very beautiful as well as my GLW's. Francesca just started to lay on Dec. 14th.

66234_img_4710.jpg

I've been hoping someone would jump on the question about differences between GLW and a black BLRW, how to tell the difference. What about this pullet says GLW rather than a black BLRW? Shouldn't they both have rose comb?
hu.gif

ETA: I am an ooper-dooper newbie, please be gentle with me.

Last edited:
I've been hoping someone would jump on the question about differences between GLW and a black BLRW, how to tell the difference. What about this pullet says GLW rather than a black BLRW? Shouldn't they both have rose comb?
hu.gif

ETA: I am an ooper-dooper newbie, please be gentle with me.

Yes the comb :)

Back
Top Bottom