Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

This is Sapphire and Garnet. I don't know about him but I think she's what's called Splash Laced Red, correct?

This is my girl Amethyst and my (I HOPE) boy Jasper

Amethyst is a Splash also and her Red is slightly lighter than Sapphire's too.
I SOOOO want the rich dark colors!

She is a Welbar, cross between a Barred Rock and a Welsummer. I purchased her from cpartist on here, she is beautiful and lays a dark egg with a pinkish wash. Here is one of her images, not my bird but mine came from here.
900x900px-LL-cca5ffa8_IMG_3494.jpeg
My girl is a little more silver than these, she is in a molt currently, but here is one of her pics. She is also an awesome broody, she was the "mom" of the chick I was asking about, and at 15 weeks is still looking out for her chicks.
Oh dear, those BR crosses are FANTASTIC!!

I

At this stage in the game, it would be much easier to buy BLRW from a reputable breeder that already has the correct color and type. Check out Foley's Waterfowl online. That will give you info on the history of the BLRW as well as show you pictures of what BLR should look like today

[/quote. If you read through Foleys site you will find that he got the red into his gene pool from a Rose comb RIR. Just sayin

Last edited:
Wow, thats some nice color! ^

Whats the gray and white one in front?

Meyer hatchery is sold out of BLR's, so I told my friend to just order me some Golden laced wyandottes.
don't do it!!!!! The absolute worst BLRWs I've ever seen. I managed a doz of them in the spring. Only 1 looks close to what it's supposed too but it's waaaay under sized. Most of mine were almost solid red with lacing on the breast only. The ones that did have good lacing are extremely buff with almost no blue and mostly smokey white. Can't express enough what a bad idea that is

You will spend the rest of your summer (and winter) trying to find proper birds after the slap in the face you get when those hatchery chicks feather in. My 2 cents

The best of them. He's free to a good home. I thought these were good until my pair from Foley arrived. WOW!! What a difference

Last edited:
Oh dear, those BR crosses are FANTASTIC!!
Yeah, we really love her, she is a great hen. She has beautiful birds in general, check out her site, http://eightacresfarm.weebly.com/ This is the only bird I have from her, but would love to get some more, gorgeous chickens, and they breed for breed standards.

It seems that on our 15 weeks chick, most are still leaning cockeral. I will keep it until after Christmas, if I still can't tell than I have issues! I did go look on the back and spread the feathers/wings, I can't see any pointy feathers. The chick is darker in that area, but all still look rounded. I will try to take a close up, but maybe time is my best bet. I have a home for it either way, but want to send it to the right home! Thanks for the input.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom