Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

don't do it!!!!! The absolute worst BLRWs I've ever seen. I managed a doz of them in the spring. Only 1 looks close to what it's supposed too but it's waaaay under sized. Most of mine were almost solid red with lacing on the breast only. The ones that did have good lacing are extremely buff with almost no blue and mostly smokey white. Can't express enough what a bad idea that is

Are you talking about their BLRW's? I am not looking for coloring, I'm more into production.We don't have that many good breeders in my area, and shipping in pure bred stock is unfortunately not something I can afford right now, as much as I would love to have some really stunning birds.

My little flock, one rooster and 4 pullets. Came from a local breeder who started with hatchery stock. Hatched about June 1, no eggs yet. Not show quality, but nice to look at and funny personalities.

Unexpected how this still saddens me, but I had another rooster, with more black, who was carted off by a predator. Wish he was still in the group.

Brassy feathers on the neck of the rooster. He is very full of himself.

This one is always independent and moving to a different tune. lol

This pullet has the most mahogany.

Last edited:
Production birds they are good for and they still look really nice in the yard.

Last edited:
I wouldn't cull for color before they start getting their adult plumage... You can see here how different the juvenile feathers are from the new adult feathers .

thumbsup.gif

That's true.

If they are not mahogany from the start they will probably never be mahogany. They either have that or they don't..... sorry.
I wouldn't cull for color before they start getting their adult plumage... You can see here how different the juvenile feathers are from the new adult feathers .
You can see that bird has the mahogany gene in the juice feathers. I wouldn't cull that one either. You can tell some at hatch if they have the right genes or not. I cull them and sell them for layers. I am on my phone but if I remember correctly the birds in question are very orange not red.

Okay, so no need to wait a few more weeks. I had my son help me hold him so we could spread his feathers apart, and there are def. male saddle feathers coming in. I also noticed spikey feathers around his comb that my girls don't seem to have, theirs are softer looking for lack of a better word.

He has his eyes closed b/c I'm rubbing his crop, he's a big fan of crop massages once you can catch him. Thanks for everyone's input, if I had just held him still and moved all of the fluff around I would have been able to figure it out!

Back
Top Bottom