Blue Laced Red Wyandotte THREAD!

I would love to see pictures of the parent stock. Just curious. 9 times out of 10 a breeder is fooling themselves and their customers when they call their birds "show quality". Also.....BLRW cannot get best in breed at shows because they are not an accepted variety. The best they can get is BV. Just saying. Either the breeder was lying or the show he won at wasn't APA, and neither of those situations really is impressive.

Also, I am not trying to insult your birds....but they never really miraculously get crisp clear lacing, ditch the shafting, and lose the brassy color. They might get a little better, but thats it. Anyways, it is your choice to breed them, but after seeing what else is out there, I wouldn't if I were you. Sorry if I am insulting your birds, but when opinions are asked for.....they are received.

Yes, sorry. You're right. I meant to say Best of Variety, I just typed the wrong thing. But I was at two of the shows he won that at, so I do know it happened, and they were both APA recognized shows. That was my bad for typing the wrong thing, but I do know their father is a good quality bird, as were the hens that were in the breeding pen with him.
And I wasn't expecting anything miraculous from my birds. I did, of course, expect them to be good quality because of their parents and hoped they would turn out at least as lovely as their father, but I understand that's not always a reality. I wasn't actually asking for any critiques because, to be honest, I just assumed they'd be good quality because of their parents. I'm not saying you're right or wrong, I just think there may have been a nicer way of saying that you were concerned about my birds' type or color, that's all. I guess I am a little sensitive about my birds, and it was a little hurtful that you seemed a bit dismissive of them to me. But there are absolutely no hard feelings. I understand you were just trying to be honest and give your opinion, which I very much appreciate. I KNOW you're right about the shafting in particular on little Piper. I had noticed that already, and was aware of it. I was confused about you saying his red was "orange" and "brassy", though, because I thought it was a very nice dark color. Perhaps, like you said, it just doesn't convey very well through pictures, and I know he's darker than his sister, so that must be it. He is a bit brassy on his primaries, but that's the only place I really see it. Anyways, I'm sorry for getting all bent out of shape, I just love my babies so much! And although I'm hoping they turn out as lovely as I envision them being, I already know that however they look, they will be included in my breeding program simply on personality alone. They are the only birds I've ever had who would just jump up on my lap for snuggles, and I want to breed sweet, personable birds first and foremost, and can work up to them having great type and color, if necessary. I mean, who could say no to this face???

Yes, sorry. You're right. I meant to say Best of Variety, I just typed the wrong thing. But I was at two of the shows he won that at, so I do know it happened, and they were both APA recognized shows. That was my bad for typing the wrong thing, but I do know their father is a good quality bird, as were the hens that were in the breeding pen with him. And I wasn't expecting anything miraculous from my birds. I did, of course, expect them to be good quality because of their parents and hoped they would turn out at least as lovely as their father, but I understand that's not always a reality. I wasn't actually asking for any critiques because, to be honest, I just assumed they'd be good quality because of their parents. I'm not saying you're right or wrong, I just think there may have been a nicer way of saying that you were concerned about my birds' type or color, that's all. I guess I am a little sensitive about my birds, and it was a little hurtful that you seemed a bit dismissive of them to me. But there are absolutely no hard feelings. I understand you were just trying to be honest and give your opinion, which I very much appreciate. I KNOW you're right about the shafting in particular on little Piper. I had noticed that already, and was aware of it. I was confused about you saying his red was "orange" and "brassy", though, because I thought it was a very nice dark color. Perhaps, like you said, it just doesn't convey very well through pictures, and I know he's darker than his sister, so that must be it. He is a bit brassy on his primaries, but that's the only place I really see it. Anyways, I'm sorry for getting all bent out of shape, I just love my babies so much! And although I'm hoping they turn out as lovely as I envision them being, I already know that however they look, they will be included in my breeding program simply on personality alone. They are the only birds I've ever had who would just jump up on my lap for snuggles, and I want to breed sweet, personable birds first and foremost, and can work up to them having great type and color, if necessary. I mean, who could say no to this face???
Dawwwww, what a cute "pair" :D

Thanks!
big_smile.png
My face is like that because I was kinda worried she might poop on me, lol. I have several pics of her and Piper doing this, though. Every time I bend down, they gotta get up with Mama and see what she's doing. And Phoebe is by far the worst photo bomber in the history of photos, lol. I have so many pics of her that were SUPPOSED to be pics of other birds, it's not even funny.

Here's an example:

Here's a pic of my SLW cockerel....that Phoebe decided needed to be a pic of her <3

Well, I guess she's not the only one...here's a picture of "me", lol...

And this is why I love my BLRWs...they're attention hogs, yes, but I wouldn't want them any other way!

Edited because I suck at spelling.

Last edited:
Thanks! :D My face is like that because I was kinda worried she might poop on me, lol. I have several pics of her and Piper doing this, though. Every time I bend down, they gotta get up with Mama and see what she's doing. And Phoebe is by far the worst photo bomber in the history of photos, lol. I have so many pics of her that were SUPPOSED to be pics of other birds, it's not even funny. Here's an example: Here's a pic of my SLW cockerel....that Phoebe decided needed to be a pic of her [/URL] Well, I guess she's not the only one...here's a picture of "me", lol... And this is why I love my BLRWs...they're attention hogs, yes, but I wouldn't want them any other way! Edited because I suck at spelling.
ADORABLE!

I hate to see this going on.
I understand FreedomFarm13......we all get sensitive when it comes to our birds; to us, they're all "the best" (like a doting parent in a way). BUT..... I honestly don't see where you insulted her or said anything terribly insulting about her birds. You were simply offering your advice and your personal opinion which is why many of us post here...... so that we can get critiques and opinions from other breeders/fanciers. I recently posted and asked for critiques on my two 5 month old cockerels. You were the only one who responded and I took your critique and agreed with most of what you said and disagreed with one thing but I never felt that you were insulting by giving your opinion. I understand FreedomFarm13 expecting her birds to be top quality with an impressive SOP themselves. If the breeder in fact has shown and done quite well with her birds that would be expected. I personally used to show dogs professionally and was a breeder as well. And this pertains to any animal. You cannot guarantee genetically that the offspring of two exceptional parents will always be just as good as the parents. The goal of course is that they are as good, if not better, but it's not always the case. I am not interested in showing but I would like to breed nice birds and that is why I often post here for advice on understanding the standard set for the breeds I have. I would say the majority of people here are fanciers and emotions do tend to run high at times but I can't believe there would be any true malice from any poster here.

No malice here, just know that after breeding these birds for 5 years , without the luxury of
'Foleys ' lines (who by the way , I too follow ) , to cull too early can be a mistake. There is no right or wrong here , we are not playing for sheep stations. You have to work with what you have.

No malice here, just know that after breeding these birds for 5 years , without the luxury of
'Foleys ' lines (who by the way , I too follow ) , to cull too early can be a mistake. There is no right or wrong here , we are not playing for sheep stations. You have to work with what you have.

Interesting how someone with Foley lines could consider some of the birds posted above as worth breeding. I guess in this case he has come a long way and the ones he has today are not representative of what he sold 5 years ago.

Back
Top Bottom