Blue Orpington

I took pictures of the chicks. They hatched March 1st and 2nd. I have a total of 8. I also have some other BBS orpington chicks that I got from a lady in Newport. She needed to find a home for them. They will be 4 months old April 25th. They are gorgeous. My daughters can't wait to show them.

These 1st two pics are of Sweety. She is wonderful. She loves to be held and played with. She was the first to hatch.

This pic is of the blue roo and blue hen. She moved so it is blurry.

This pic is of almost the whole group. That roo to the right has white on his breast feathers and some white wing feathers. He may end up being a really dark splash. There is another 2 hens that have similar feathering to him. Sweety and Lucky are the 2 black hens.

This is Lucky. She is my favorite hen.

Lucky is posing for the camera.

Lucky started to hatch on March 1st. I just left her because I figured chicks know how to hatch. The problem with her is that she was hatching from skinny side, not fat side. I left her in her shell for almost 36 hours. I didn't know any better until I went to BYC and looked up chick hatching with difficulty. Most said not to help, that it was nature's way. I was not about to let her go though. I pulled her out of the incubator, took her into the bathroom and used my fingers and warm water to hatch her and slowly, softly pull the membranes off of her. The membranes had dried to her downy. I got her cleaned up and put her back in the incubator for about 14 more hours. She had dried and fluffed a little. I then put her in the brooder with her siblings. She is slightly smaller than the rest of the hens, but is doing well. She loves to be held and loves attention. You would never know she almost didn't make it. I figured if she could hang on for 36 hours, than she was a fighter. She has definitely proven that.

This is Lucy. She sounded like a goose when we first got her. So we named her Lucy Goosey.

This is Ace. She is our only splash hen.

This is General and Ace. General is our blue roo.

General

Lucy

Lucy

Thanks for the update and great pictures! Lucky has a great story. Hoping this does not happen when we hatch. My nerves get the best of me! Lucy is very pretty and the General very dignified. I'm curious if the blacks with the bit of white will keep it or not. I don't recall seeing any Black Orpingtons with white. Do you know if this is the result or more common when X Blues?

No. The black orps with white should turn all black. The white should fade. Do you have BBS orpington eggs in incubator? I currently have 10 black-tailed white Japanese under a hen and 23 mottled java eggs in the incubator. All do to hatch in the next 2 weeks. I love my husband. He indulges my chicken craze.

Yes - have BBS in the incubator. Came to this thread hoping to figure out what colors I might have at hatching. First incubation I've ever done so I hope the learning curve is not so bad that I don't get a few to hatch. Optimism and wishful thinking will hopefully prevail!
fl.gif

I have fallen in love with the blues. I now have Mr. Rooster who I get complements on all the time and Big Blue my hen. Here they are and a couple of their babies.
[/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom