Blue Orpington

My girls are are showing in a 4 H show next weekend. We are showing our BBS orpingtons. I hope they do well. These chickens aren't even 5 months old and are gorgeous. They are almost bigger than my barred rock hens that are 1 1/2 years old.

My girls are are showing in a 4 H show next weekend. We are showing our BBS orpingtons. I hope they do well. These chickens aren't even 5 months old and are gorgeous. They are almost bigger than my barred rock hens that are 1 1/2 years old.
Assuming they are part of the pics you posted a few weeks ago? Can you post a pic that shows the size comparison between your mature BR? Would be interesting to see the size and conformation differences (and also see them in their latest glory!
yippiechickie.gif
)

No problem. I'll try to get those pics up soon. They are big and beautiful. I hope my girls do well at the show. These BBS orpingtons are from the Greenfire Farms line. Great quality.

Is this a blue orp? We thought we had blue because the chick fluff was such a silvery charcoal color, but now the wing and shoulder feathers are coming in very black. (The pix don't show the color very well but new feathers are glossy black.) Black orp? Does this mean it is a blue roo perhaps?

Is this a blue orp? We thought we had blue because the chick fluff was such a silvery charcoal color, but now the wing and shoulder feathers are coming in very black. (The pix don't show the color very well but new feathers are glossy black.) Black orp? Does this mean it is a blue roo perhaps? http://
www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/5775399/width/350/height/700/flags/LL
I am wondering the same thing. Some of the chicks I hatched out to sell were doing the same thing. The wing feathers start coming in almost black, so does that mean those will be the 25% black?

I am wondering the same thing. Some of the chicks I hatched out to sell were doing the same thing. The wing feathers start coming in almost black, so does that mean those will be the 25% black?

If you crossed blue x blue then 25% is what should be expected. Other crosses result in no black. Was yours a blue x blue cross?

Technically weren't suppose to get any black with our cross but now I'm wondering if the person who sent my eggs was less than honest about the parents. Or maybe mine is just a very dark blue roo. The roos can be pretty dark across the back but I don't know if this dark shading normally extends through the wings. Anyone with a blue roo that can answer this?

Back
Top Bottom