Blue rocks

Here is one of my 2013 pullets that I like pretty well. Excuse the condition; she has been with a male since March. I have done no selection for color so far with my Blue Rock project, just worked on breeding out the dominant white and barring.

Last edited:
Very pretty. Is that barring in her neck, or is it just a trick of the light? I especially like those light yellow legs!
smile.png

Very pretty. Is that barring in her neck, or is it just a trick of the light? I especially like those light yellow legs!
smile.png
The hen of mine has no barring. In Findtex's bird below, I see barring not just in the hackle but throughout the body...it is probably most noticeable in the main tail and coverts. The barring gene is linked to yellow leg color (as opposed to dusky). Last year I mated a heterozygous (single copy) barred male over blue barred females. Both parents were yellow legged, but all of the solid (non-barred) pullets had leg color that ranged from dusky to slate. My hen above was the yellowest-shanked solid pullet of nearly 200 hatched. Selecting for yellow shanks on a solid blue bird, particularly females, is a genetic tightrope because it can lead to white undercolor and/or wing primaries. This is especially true when based on E (extended black) and the reason why the blue and black varieties of yellow-legged breeds are commonly double-mated (separate male and female lines).

She shows a bar, but she is a f1, She was breed from my mutant to a bared Roo, I think her head is ok her legs are yellow, but this washes out when she lays, her body shape has potential except for the tail. We will C what happens this hatching year

OMG!!! I need some blue barred rock eggs !! I want barred rocks that look like the picture I posted...where do I find them ?! I must have them help lol ! Please list contact information on how to get ahold of some eggs of chicks ! Thanks

Back
Top Bottom