Blue rocks

I need to get some pictures of my Blue Rocks. Now I just need a roo LOL. I have a couple of single barreds show up from a different mating I may see what I get with them. If not I have a roo I got from Yard full of rocks that is very silver and seems to be throwing columbians with my penciled girls. I need to thin them down too, I think I have about 15-20 floating around. I will pick the best legs and keep working. Lacing on the blues is looking nice..... I have a couple of splash pullets too.

Slate with white skin. The Andalusian cross line is a long way from being show ready; I hesitated to even put this picture up. Challenging as it may be, there is no other way to achieve the proper color with the black lacing (not edging) that is described in the Standard. I have at least one Andalusian cross male with yellow legs and red earlobes, and am hoping to correct leg color within a generation or two. The color and feather quality are a substantial improvement over my main line.

Slate with white skin. The Andalusian cross line is a long way from being show ready; I hesitated to even put this picture up. Challenging as it may be, there is no other way to achieve the proper color with the black lacing (not edging) that is described in the Standard. I have at least one Andalusian cross male with yellow legs and red earlobes, and am hoping to correct leg color within a generation or two. The color and feather quality are a substantial improvement over my main line.
I agree, I have one with red ear lobs and yellow legs but her tail is far too long, at least yours has the body shape, it is all in the sharing.

I realize that this pullet is not blue, but she came from blue parents and, based on her type, will be useful in my blue breeding program. She was hatched in September and raised in an unheated, uninsulated barn in northern Vermont. Weight was 2 ounces under 6 lb at 4 months of age.

Her sire:

and dam:

“A very good effort.” Said the judge.
Got a ribbon as best in class at a class. As I have to compete with more established breeds and colours, there were a number of birds in AOV . As we showers know it is hard for a blue to compete against other colours etc. So I must be doing something right.
I still think the tail is too long.

Last edited:
Have been searching the internet for Blue Rocks. Anybody still selling eggs or chicks, or know of someone who is??? Any leads appreciated!!
caf.gif

Have been searching the internet for Blue Rocks. Anybody still selling eggs or chicks, or know of someone who is??? Any leads appreciated!!
caf.gif
This is going to sound harsh, but I hope not. The Blue Rock is nowhere near refined enough to be sold en masse as eggs or chicks. The variety needs more breeders, and breeders need breeder birds. The majority of "Blue Rocks" I see, including roughly 90% of those hatched here, need to be culled for the good of the variety. When cull birds are sold as eggs or chicks, they generally do not get culled.

Thank you for your response, not harsh at all, it has become apparent in my search that people working with Blue Rock lines are extremely few and far between. It's a shame, Plymouth Rocks are such wonderful heritage birds, easily my favorite so far, and the blue coloring is absolutely striking. I have to say, and feel a little inferior for it, that I fall into the category of 'folks wanting pretty, productive blue hens for backyard layers' as you put it in your facebook update.
smile.png
So I will stay tuned there, cross my fingers, and hope that your progress with the birds goes well.

Back
Top Bottom