Bobcat grabbed hen not 5 feet from me!

All cooped up,not that it matters but my one comment on this thread was a ditto to Panner's sorry dogs that couldnt handle a Bobcat. Not sure how I got under the bus here. No offense taken I am sure you mistook someone elses comment for mine.

" Deerman, The Fox, SteveP and Greathorse - I have 5 acres fully fenced with 6ft fencing and a secure gated driveway to keep my dogs from going outside my property. I AM A RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNER. I have spent hundreds of dollars on fencing in an effort to KEEP THE DEER and any other creature OUT OF MY PROPERTY. I do not HUNT deer, wild turkey or any other animal. My dogs are locked up at night and do not roam. I will trap and dispose of raccoons, but let me repeat that I do not use my dog to hunt deer, wild turkey or raccoons."

Nobody said you hunt anything, your dog by definition did (regardless of your fenced 5 acres to keep them out and your dog in), in some states you would be considered by the law to actually be hunting because of the actions of your dog.

Just pointing out how things are.

AllCoop'dUp :

OMG..I was totally being scarcastic about putting my dog down. Let me address the statements made:

Panner123 and Deerman- I've had my dog for 8 years, she was 8 weeks old when I got her and she is a huge part of my family, I take pet ownership very serious and would never after having made a LIFETIME commitment to an animal simply get rid of it because my lifestyle has changed. I think that would be devastaving for any animal to have their life turned upside down. My chickens arrived 6 months ago. I knew before I got chickens she would be highly interested in them and have taken numerous precautions in protecting the lives of my chickens. The deaths of those chickens were totally preventable, but due to human error. Gate left open, gap in fence not secure, etc. You have no idea how much I greived their loss and I did not take what happened lightly.

Deerman, The Fox, SteveP and Greathorse - I have 5 acres fully fenced with 6ft fencing and a secure gated driveway to keep my dogs from going outside my property. I AM A RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNER. I have spent hundreds of dollars on fencing in an effort to KEEP THE DEER and any other creature OUT OF MY PROPERTY. I do not HUNT deer, wild turkey or any other animal. My dogs are locked up at night and do not roam. I will trap and dispose of raccoons, but let me repeat that I do not use my dog to hunt deer, wild turkey or raccoons.

I'd also like to say that having people who DO NOT KNOW ME, throw out blanket judgements of who I am and how I conduct my life is a bit off putting. I will certainly think twice before responding to ANY topic in the future lest my statements be a target for others. I guess that's the risk of responding to anything and I can own that.

Ok maybe I didn't have all the facts. So your dog is not roaming the neighborhood. I have had so many kill by stray dogs.

Facts you posted were your dog does kill wildlife, and even your chicken. DOG OWNERS can train their dog not to kill chickens. Yes you should be carefull what you post. Just posting that your dog is killing deer, could get it destroy. Justs take the right person to see it.​

barnie.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
- Wow....never thought I would be harboring a criminal....I find it amazing that people who rally around the killing of raccoons, fox, bobcats, cougar and bear, which I have in my own back yard and which are classified as "wildlife" and which I have NEVER KILLED, believe that a dog that uses their natural instincts as all animals do, should be shot while confined to their own property. What is the point of having a dog to deter predators if the dog is caged in a kennel 24/7?

I wonder how many of the members of this forum have had their own dog kill one of their chickens and their response was to kill the dog? More likely they pass the dog onto someone else, which to me is a more irresponsible action. What happened with my dog and the fawn was horrifiying and shocking. I suppose I should have done what everyone else on this forum seems to think is the RIGHT thing to do...SSS.

I'm done...back to lurking in the background lest I offend anyone with my postings.
greathorse...sorry you got caught up in this...

Deerman, The Fox, SteveP and Greathorse - I have 5 acres fully fenced with 6ft fencing and a secure gated driveway to keep my dogs from going outside my property. I AM A RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNER. I have spent hundreds of dollars on fencing in an effort to KEEP THE DEER and any other creature OUT OF MY PROPERTY. I do not HUNT deer, wild turkey or any other animal. My dogs are locked up at night and do not roam. I will trap and dispose of raccoons, but let me repeat that I do not use my dog to hunt deer, wild turkey or raccoons.

I never said you were an irresponsible dog owner and I also never accused you of "hunting" with your dog.... the simple act of your dog killing a wild animal of any kind (in Missouri mind you) is an act of hunting despite where you are when the dog decides to kill said animal. The laws in my state would have you behind bars for a good while despite the 6' fence. A deer exclusion fence should also be 10 feet plus in height. Now I also know that adds a HUGE cost to fencing as I have 30+ acres on my property fenced with 6' no climb fence. To this day I have had maybe 10 deer inside that fence and the turkeys get in all the time because they roost close to the fence line on one corner of the pastures. Now all that being said and despite all other things I took no offense to your post it just really bothers me when people shrug off their "beloved pet" killing a wild animal as though they have no respect for that animal because theirs in in some way better and or superior to that animal. I am also not an anti-hunter, I spend many MANY weeks each year hunting and have killed my fair share of deer, turkeys, coyotes, bobcats, coons, wild pheasant, quail, and all manner of creatures. I have an immense amount of respect for those animals and spend my time thanking god for the opportunity to have them and even just simply see them. I also wonder how a yearling fawn was able to jump over a 6' fence as I have seen them barely be able to clear a 4' fence without hitting the top of it with their legs....... again I am not trying to insult you but you ask if you should put that dog down.... in my opinion by all means YES still.

In response to your above post... I have killed 2 of my dogs because they killed some of my live stock. One of them was a wonderful bluetick coon hound that killed a calf out in the field... the other was a black lab that I found chasing horses a few times. I also very distinctly remember my grandfather telling me that if he caught my jackrussel chasing chickens again it would be the last time i ever saw him... I believed him and that dog never chased chickens again. I also have a neighbor who called me one night to come and put his two long time family pets down because they had killed one of his foals that was only a day old. He did not have it in him to do it but felt that it had to be done and rightfully so. Did I feel bad about it, of course, but I did what I had to because that is the way things are and if they are fed well and taught from a young age to not do those things then the do anyway.... they must go. Again I am not fully aware of your situation but I do respect any and all wildlife, if I were to catch one of m current dogs chasing and killing turkeys, deer, bobcats, coyotes, coons, I would without hesitation put them down. Yes they are a good deterrent for predators but they do that by barking not killing.

Steve​

Last edited:
AllCoop'dUp :

barnie.gif
rant.gif
somad.gif
- Wow....never thought I would be harboring a criminal....I find it amazing that people who rally around the killing of raccoons, fox, bobcats, cougar and bear, which I have in my own back yard and which are classified as "wildlife" and which I have NEVER KILLED, believe that a dog that uses their natural instincts as all animals do, should be shot while confined to their own property. What is the point of having a dog to deter predators if the dog is caged in a kennel 24/7?

I wonder how many of the members of this forum have had their own dog kill one of their chickens and their response was to kill the dog? More likely they pass the dog onto someone else, which to me is a more irresponsible action. What happened with my dog and the fawn was horrifiying and shocking. I suppose I should have done what everyone else on this forum seems to think is the RIGHT thing to do...SSS.

I'm done...back to lurking in the background lest I offend anyone with my postings.
greathorse...sorry you got caught up in this...

Actually, there are probably a number of us who have put down, or had to put down, family pets that chased or killed wildlife or stock. In any event, your fence is inadequate to keep out deer and in Oregon you are responsible for the actions of your dog. If it were my dog it would no longer be breathing or it would be confined. In some states dogs kill more wildlife than cars, hunting, poaching, and disease.

A bobcat can and will take out a dog - a dog fights with it's mouth; a bobcat not only has teeth, but carries switchblades on all four corners. Some packs run a mix of hot nosed trackers like Walkers, a colder nosed dog or two, and some Airedale crosses or Catahoulas when going for bear or cat.​

Back
Top Bottom