bout how much does one sell a dozen farm fresh eggs?

When we got out first batch of layers started laying, so many friends came to us and wanted eggs, we charged $3/dozen with their own egg cartons. Within a month we raised our price to $4 and kept it that way for almost 3 yrs now. We have not yet gave away any free eggs since we sold them a week in advance, we wish we can give away some but demand is high. We charge ourselves same amount for our personal consumption of eggs.
I'm lucky, my girls don't charge me for eggs. They pop out a not so perfect egg or a Jumbo size or even a Super Jumbo, bigger than 77 grams several times a week, just for me. GC

Last edited:
I'm lucky, my girls don't charge me for eggs. They pop out a not so perfect egg or a Jumbo size or even a Super Jumbo, bigger than 77 grams several times a week, just for me. GC

Ha ha ha, we only charge ourselves for our eggs for the sake of accounting. We account egg production and consumption and cost of feeds.

Ha ha ha, we only charge ourselves for our eggs for the sake of accounting. We account egg production and consumption and cost of feeds.

Yep- we keep track too for our farm deferral stuff, though technically we've "paid" by putting the food in the bowl and roof over their heads.
It's nice to keep records on each hen- helped when it came time to decide which fertilized eggs I wanted to put under the broody that will hatch this week! A big part of the decision was looking back over their production sheets, but I'm an admitted measure things freak and spreadsheet nerd.

Finally selling eggs!! Selling a dozen tomorrow, Sold a dozen today, 3 1/2 dozen yesterday, 18 last Friday, 1 1/2 dozen last week.
Does anyone know of a worksheet for egg selling? Don't like the generic ones I've found previously. It'LL get overwhelming when we have all 19 laying.
Thanks! Lowered the price and I feel better about it.

Finally selling eggs!! Selling a dozen tomorrow, Sold a dozen today, 3 1/2 dozen yesterday, 18 last Friday, 1 1/2 dozen last week.
Does anyone know of a worksheet for egg selling? Don't like the generic ones I've found previously. It'LL get overwhelming when we have all 19 laying.

I just use excel. each hen gets her own "sheet" with date and weight of egg. I take other measurements too, but that's the basic stuff.
A separate sheet records sales, date sold, quantity, size, price. I keep track of date each hen laid her first egg, # days or weeks or whatever you like best... when I set eggs under a broody I note which hen laid the egg, date laid, how I marked it, did hatch, quit etc.

I'm sure there are commercial programs out there that do this better, but it's already 'free' on my computer and I've used it for many years.

I use flock plenty - in-app purchase, very handy since it's in my iPhone. It tracks my daily production, expenses, sales, profit and graph them daily, weekly, & monthly. Been using it since August last year.

Last edited:
I use flock plenty - in-app purchase, very handy since it's in my iPhone. It tracks my daily production, expenses, sales, profit and graph them daily, weekly, & monthly. Been using it since August last year.

ooo I LOVE this! I will check this one out. Thanks so much. I have Samsung Galaxy edge I wonder If I have something like this?

I just use excel.  each hen gets her own "sheet" with date and weight of egg.  I take other measurements too, but that's the basic stuff.
A separate sheet records sales, date sold, quantity, size, price.  I keep track of date each hen laid her first egg, # days or weeks or whatever you like best... when I set eggs under a broody I note which hen laid the egg, date laid, how I marked it, did hatch, quit etc.

I'm sure there are commercial programs out there that do this better, but it's already 'free' on my computer and I've used it for many years.
I like the extra things you can add to your charts. We weigh every egg from every girl as well. Is this easy to use & add things to it? Our autistic twins are homeschooled and it's mainly their project so ease is very important.

Wow...we give ours away. We have road island reds, I love their big brown eggs. At one point we had 25 laying hens. Coworkers asked how much we'd sell them for, I said nothing I'd give them to them for free. The only thing I wanted in return was for them to save me their empty cartons. Some people insisted on paying me, so I got 2$ from some and 3$ from others. Even my coworkers that didn't want eggs started saving their cartons for us. In today's society, the way things are going (to he-- in a handbasket) it just feels good to give them away and watch the joy on there faces. Mondays and Thursdays are free eggs day at work and I have a blast bringing them in. Or when someone stops by our place to talk to us, sending them away with fresh eggs is such a joy. Try it sometime, it feels great to make someone's day.

couldn't find this. I found several I will work with and see which would be best. I found poultry manager which I like this so far and haven't opened the other two. Fxing this works:)

Back
Top Bottom