Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Can anyone here tell if this is a pullet or a roo? It is 4 weeks and 4 days old in this photo. I have 4 Brabanters and this one's face looks different than the other 3. I don't have a preference for pullet or roo, I just want to know. I will say, I think it is a He as this one and my other roo seem to dance every so often. I could be totally wrong though. Thank you so much for any info. Have a great day too!!!!

With all that red in the developing comb & waddles, my guess would be cockerel. But it's tough to tell. He sure is cute. :)

I love my little "Mohawkers" (original right!?). His comb is developing 3 horns so that made me think cockerel too.
I had 4 chicks, 2 of my Brays, killed last week by my neighbors dog (broke the lock completely off the run) and I am just upset. They are SO hard to find and they are my fav. I have 25 chicks now, 4 Brabanters, and am planning on hatching Ancona ducklings the end of April. The only Brays I found have a hatch date of May 18... So I would have another round of chicks; and baby animals are so high maintenance.
But, if anyone knows of Spitz hatching around May 18th I could add those and that would be EPIC! Wait a minute; did I just talk myself into more chicks?

Chicks are super fun. I don't ship chicks, but have silver spitz eggs available in April. If u need chicks, you might check out the spitzhauben fb page. There are several spitz breeders in TX and there might be one close to you. Enjoy chick season! :D

With all that red in the developing comb & waddles, my guess would be cockerel. But it's tough to tell. He sure is cute.
smile.png
Well, from what I could tell he attempted to crow today. It sounded more like a short yell but I am pretty sure that was a first try at a crow this morning. He sure is a cutie!

Sadly, but not surprisingly from what I've been reading on this forum, my "brabanter" seems like more of a mix or just not standard. I only got so far reading this thread but it sounded like there was a main breeder was in Washington? Is that still the case?

@sphinxface There are very few Brabanters in the US that come close to the standard and that's not taking into account the 'which standard are you using' questions.

I can't say I know much, but my understanding was that the first importation was by H&H in Texas. Finding a breeder seems difficult best of luck! You may want to check out the American Brabanter facebook group as there are some breeders on there.

What makes you think your birds are mixes? Do you have photos?

Last edited:

We are having to rehome our one Gold Brabanter from last years's July 4 hatch. He's so pretty though his top knot is big, he has a good beard and he's beautiful. However, we have 4 hens. He's fine with 3 of them (two cream legbars and a gold laced Polish). He bullies our Tolbunt Polish Frizzle which is a favorite of ours and our little friends who visit. He has pulled her feathers out bad and scratched her back so she was bleeding. She hides from him but today we put him in a separate pen outside, we are going to try find a non-dinner table home for him. It's a shame because he's so pretty too.

Same rooster a few months before, but shows beard and other views better.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom