Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

We are having to rehome our one Gold Brabanter from last years's July 4 hatch. He's so pretty though his top knot is big, he has a good beard and he's beautiful. However, we have 4 hens. He's fine with 3 of them (two cream legbars and a gold laced Polish). He bullies our Tolbunt Polish Frizzle which is a favorite of ours and our little friends who visit. He has pulled her feathers out bad and scratched her back so she was bleeding. She hides from him but today we put him in a separate pen outside, we are going to try find a non-dinner table home for him. It's a shame because he's so pretty too.

Same rooster a few months before, but shows beard and other views better.

Gosh he's pretty... I didn't realize that they got that big until I see the picture of him next to the Cream Legbar. Seems like someone here was just looking for good stock. Hope that someone will give him a wonderful home!

ETA -- oh - I see now -- he is closer to the camera -- so he's probably about the same size as the Cream Legbar then...right?

Last edited:
He's about the same side as they are really. HE's just in the foreground
We are having to rehome our one Gold Brabanter from last years's July 4 hatch. He's so pretty though his top knot is big, he has a good beard and he's beautiful. However, we have 4 hens. He's fine with 3 of them (two cream legbars and a gold laced Polish). He bullies our Tolbunt Polish Frizzle which is a favorite of ours and our little friends who visit. He has pulled her feathers out bad and scratched her back so she was bleeding. She hides from him but today we put him in a separate pen outside, we are going to try find a non-dinner table home for him. It's a shame because he's so pretty too. Same rooster a few months before, but shows beard and other views better.
Gosh he's pretty... I didn't realize that they got that big until I see the picture of him next to the Cream Legbar. Seems like someone here was just looking for good stock. Hope that someone will give him a wonderful home! ETA -- oh - I see now -- he is closer to the camera -- so he's probably about the same size as the Cream Legbar then...right?

Just got 2 Appenzeller Spitzhauben roosters.
The one is better show quality then the other. I got them for free and here's how.

My cousin's teacher asked her after school one day about her chickens, my cousin was talking to her when the teacher said well my husband found these chickens and we can't have them so could you take them. My cousin called her mom and her mom said yes.
When they go to pick them up they find out that the teachers husband found them in a sack abandoned on the side of the road, that morning he didn't pay much attention but when they are still there that afternoon he picked up the sack. So then my cousin got them.
They were flighty right away, but acted like hens, they slept by each other and talked like hens.
The next morning they all crowed!! My cousins can not have 3 more roosters because they live in the suburbs and there neighbors are nice enough to allow them there 3 roosters, not including the Appenzellers, right now.

So they quarantined them for 2 weeks, and they brought me 2 of the 3 to me today. I may give one of them to my friend JT who loves poultry and is really knowledgeable and smart about them.
I will keep the better show quality one, and hopefully JT will take the other.

that's a pretty amazing story. congrats on getting the birds.Your teacher's husband saved their lives -- and now they will have good homes.

It would be interesting to know the 'back story' of how they got there in the first place.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom