Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

Pencilled Palm, we have a heeler mix--our rescue Gypsy is half Great Pyrenees and a quarter Red Heeler, and yeah, she's a velcro dog. :) She doesn't know whether to guard us or herd us...so she does both. Against everything--falling pine needles, marauding squirrels, you name it.

It'll feel like forever before we get our birds, but I will so get pictures of them as they grow! I picked the Goldens because it seems you can find the Creams, but nobody breeds the Goldens for some reason.

Attachments

• 101_1324.JPG
    101_1324.JPG
    402.1 KB · Views: 1
Pencilled Palm, we have a heeler mix--our rescue Gypsy is half Great Pyrenees and a quarter Red Heeler, and yeah, she's a velcro dog. :) She doesn't know whether to guard us or herd us...so she does both. Against everything--falling pine needles, marauding squirrels, you name it.
So funny you say this. I have the best farm dog. GPxlab. When I was overrun with coyotes and shopping for a second dog, I wanted one just like him. What I was finding was GPx herding dog. Poor dogs had to be so conflicted. I couldn't envision how you would approach it's training. Your experience is spot on how I expected the cross to mature.
My biggest concern about Brabanters is the lack of genetic diversity in US flocks. It will be interesting to see how this large group matures and if any faults are being eliminated. My dream flock would be one of the other colorations.

I couldn't envision how you would approach it's training. Your experience is spot on how I expected the cross to mature. [/QUOTE said:
We got Gypsy as a 3 yr old, so most of the work (aside from PetsMart obedience classes) was in undoing the damage some horrible people did to her. A year & a half later, she's a lot better--less neurotic, anyway--but the slightest noise sets her to barking.

My biggest concern about Brabanters is the lack of genetic diversity in US flocks. It will be interesting to see how this large group matures and if any faults are being eliminated. My dream flock would be one of the other colorations.

I'm hoping this is enough to start with that I set up spiral breeding with three groups. Not a lot of diversity, I know, but maybe I can keep a closed flock, work with the three lines and eventually have some decent looking birds.

So funny you say this. I have the best farm dog. GPxlab. When I was overrun with coyotes and shopping for a second dog, I wanted one just like him. What I was finding was GPx herding dog. Poor dogs had to be so conflicted. I couldn't envision how you would approach it's training. Your experience is spot on how I expected the cross to mature.
I wish the chamois brabanters were available in the US!
brabanter-chamois1.jpg

I just purchased/ordered 30 Gold Brabanters from Ideal, for a ship date of 28 April. 20 females, 10 males. I figure that'll give me at least a decent size group to cull from--and it pretty much hits my limit for space.

We just moved into our house--built it this year. Lots of finish work to do on it, and THEN we'll build the coop and run. We live in the White Mountains of eastern Arizona, at 7200 ft, on an acre in the pines. I'll have to confine them to the run, as our worst predators--among a wide range from bears to cougars--are the dogs that roam freely in our rural area.

I got a little ambitious maybe, as these are my first chickens, and I probably should have gotten "starter chickens" that are easy to raise. But I've studied breeds for...seven years? Changed my mind 1823 times about what breed/s I wanted to have. A varied flock, or one and try to improve? This was the one I couldn't quit coming back to. Every single time I see a photo of one, it makes me smile.

I've read and studied for years, but I know I'll make noobie mistakes anyway. If any of y'all have Brabanter-specific suggestions, hints, or comments on what you think of them, I'm all ears!

In particular, I'm wondering how the hatch rate goes with an incubator.
Cheers!

How exciting! You should be able to cull that down to two good trios (basically your best trio, and some backups,) so hopefully that won't max you out too bad. Probably the hardest part of these being your first chickens AND such a project will be recognizing the necessity to move them on to make room for the next generation every year and being strict about culling.

It's awesome that you've committed to one breed out of the gate. That puts you miles ahead of most of us!

What kind of incubator do you have?

How exciting! You should be able to cull that down to two good trios (basically your best trio, and some backups,) so hopefully that won't max you out too bad. Probably the hardest part of these being your first chickens AND such a project will be recognizing the necessity to move them on to make room for the next generation every year and being strict about culling.

It's awesome that you've committed to one breed out of the gate. That puts you miles ahead of most of us!

What kind of incubator do you have?

I will start small and get a Nurture Right 360. Decent reviews, and fits my economics.

About culling, not a problem. First--I tend to be pretty practical and compartmentalized about that kind of thing, and second--30 chickens is a couple of chickens over my top limit! :p

I'm not the slightest bit squeamish about butchering for the freezer--I'm a strict carnivore (like vegan, only opposite)--so nothing will go to waste.

For approximately the same price (a little more I suppose if you spring for the auto-turner,) you can get a Genesis Hovabator with the fan and have double the capacity. I highly recommend that one! I was having terrible luck hatching until I switched to one, and it's been a breeze since.

Back
Top Bottom