Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

For approximately the same price (a little more I suppose if you spring for the auto-turner,) you can get a Genesis Hovabator with the fan and have double the capacity. I highly recommend that one! I was having terrible luck hatching until I switched to one, and it's been a breeze since.
What were you using before you switched? I'll have to look into it. And yes, I do want the auto-turner.

I had a Little Giant version of the styrofoam box incubator. I was skeptical that there would be much of a difference, but it all boils down to the thermostat. The GQF thermostats are just very superior and prevent the temperature fluctuations that you get with other versions, I guess. I also like the plastic insert in the bottom that protects the styrofoam from yolk and other ickies when the chicks hatch, though I suppose you could fashion one for a different model if that were the only problem.

I wish the chamois brabanters were available in the US!View attachment 2483649
That's a remarkable plumage pattern. Many years ago I was interested in Brabanters which is the reason I subscribed to this thread. Then I just couldn't think of hens with Abe Lincoln beards and switched my admiration to Alpenzeller Sptizhabens..(spelling?) -- that chamois could be a game changer to someone like me with black beard (on a hen) phobia.
:oops:

That's a remarkable plumage pattern. Many years ago I was interested in Brabanters which is the reason I subscribed to this thread. Then I just couldn't think of hens with Abe Lincoln beards and switched my admiration to Alpenzeller Sptizhabens..(spelling?) -- that chamois could be a game changer to someone like me with black beard (on a hen) phobia.
:oops:
You know there are also Chamois Spitzhaubens too right? (And they ARE available in the US.)

I wish the chamois brabanters were available in the US!View attachment 2483649

A lesson in how to get run off the Brabanter/Spitzhauben thread with pitchforks:

Ok, hear me out... but if there are Chamois Spitzhauben in the US and bearded Buff Laced Polish in the US... how many generations would it take to get back to chamois Brabanter?!

I'm personally a fan of bearded birds, so prefer the Brabanter by a LOT. My Houdans have clearly had Polish influence at some point but I've nearly got the big gross wattles cut out of my flock so I know that's possible, and frankly a giant crest is not easy to maintain always so I imagine that could be brought back in check quickly. Are there any significant size or type difference in Polish and Brabanters that I'm not aware of? Shank color is the same. Seems it would be a fairly easy recreation, honestly.

Just be kind in your rejections, please. :lau

A lesson in how to get run off the Brabanter/Spitzhauben thread with pitchforks:

Ok, hear me out... but if there are Chamois Spitzhauben in the US and bearded Buff Laced Polish in the US... how many generations would it take to get back to chamois Brabanter?!

I'm personally a fan of bearded birds, so prefer the Brabanter by a LOT. My Houdans have clearly had Polish influence at some point but I've nearly got the big gross wattles cut out of my flock so I know that's possible, and frankly a giant crest is not easy to maintain always so I imagine that could be brought back in check quickly. Are there any significant size or type difference in Polish and Brabanters that I'm not aware of? Shank color is the same. Seems it would be a fairly easy recreation, honestly.

Just be kind in your rejections, please. :lau
There is a thread (or some posts) somewhere on BYC about making chamois brabanters using chamois spitz and cream or gold brabanters. (I'm thinking that would be MUCH better/faster than using polish since spitz and brabanters have the same head floof type to start with.) I know nothing aobut polish "type" other than the have the huge head floof. Don;t know if it would be easier to get rid of the giant floof, OR the cream or gold color.

There is a thread (or some posts) somewhere on BYC about making chamois brabanters using chamois spitz and cream or gold brabanters. (I'm thinking that wold be MUCH better/faster than using polish since spitz and brabanters have the same head floof type to start with.)

Interesting. I have to admit I know nothing about the Buff color except that it's far more complicated than it appears to be and very difficult to "get right"—it intimidates and confuses me. I've also learned to hate the cream gene thanks to the Legbars. That's probably why my instinct is to go with as little color interference as possible as preferable to other henkiness! LOL

Interesting. I have to admit I know nothing about the Buff color except that it's far more complicated than it appears to be and very difficult to "get right"—it intimidates and confuses me. I've also learned to hate the cream gene thanks to the Legbars. That's probably why my instinct is to go with as little color interference as possible as preferable to other henkiness! LOL
I love the cream brabanters. BUT if I were going to try to make chamois using a spitz and a brabanter, I would use gold brabanters instead. (It might be another fun project to use the buff polish and see what happens. LOL)

Back
Top Bottom