Brabanters and Spitzhaubens--The Differences PIC HEAVY!

This one is my favorite! This is at 2 days old
dang! that one is cute!!!!! super fluff face!!!
ya.gif

Was the woman in Nantahala, NC? She told me Brabanters are not good with children.

I am hoping to get Brabanters and Domiques, mixed flock, trying figure how to get them about the same age. Have t decided which of the two for rooster but a search on the threads seems the Dominque rooster has chance of being less aggressive,

Feedback?

It is so hard to find either breed and doubt anywhere can get sexed chicks and one breeding get will be for laying, the other to just enjoy mixed flock. I was looking at Cream Legbars too. The Brabanters make me smile,

I guess it depends on the line of genetics you get. My cream brabs are the gentlest most docile lap chickens I've ever had! My cream roo has never flogged anyone!

Trying to find a reliable source.

Is there a lot of interest in this breed? I am thinking of getting into the Brabanters but the DH says they have to be able to make money. Is this breed popular? Are they very rare & hard to find? Do you think I would be able to sell hatching eggs & maybe chicks & adults if I bought some? Just wondering if I should invest in these guys. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Honestly, the biggest sellers right now are I think Marans.

Everyone wants super dark eggs.

People want blue egg layers too, but most don't care if they get easter eggers or Ameraucanas.

Strange too.... I thought that I would be able to sell super cute pure bred bantams... not a single taker (not brabanters)

Also, since I am in the frozen north, I thought that my rose comb leghorns would be great sellers.. (great egg production and tiny combs), only a very few have wanted them, and NONE of them cared if they were pure bred or mixes... they just wanted a few white egg layers to round out their egg baskets.

Selling eggs helps to cover cost of feed.... but selling chicks actually makes some money (not much mind, but it is nice)

However... that is what I have seen in my neck of the woods... might be different where you are

Honestly, the biggest sellers right now are I think Marans.

Everyone wants super dark eggs.

People want blue egg layers too, but most don't care if they get easter eggers or Ameraucanas.

Strange too.... I thought that I would be able to sell super cute pure bred bantams... not a single taker (not brabanters)

Also, since I am in the frozen north, I thought that my rose comb leghorns would be great sellers.. (great egg production and tiny combs), only a very few have wanted them, and NONE of them cared if they were pure bred or mixes... they just wanted a few white egg layers to round out their egg baskets.

Selling eggs helps to cover cost of feed.... but selling chicks actually makes some money (not much mind, but it is nice)

However... that is what I have seen in my neck of the woods... might be different where you are
Thanks for the info...sucks though cause I really like the crazy look of the Brabanters...I would love to do Marans, but have bought several different lines/colors/types from different people (& paid a pretty penny for them) but NEVER got any that were up to par..all were weak or had bad genetics...still interested in Brabanters though...just don't know if the DH will go for it..maybe some others will comment & i'll get a better idea of where they might be selling good..if they're selling good...Thanks again....

Is there a lot of interest in this breed? I am thinking of getting into the Brabanters but the DH says they have to be able to make money. Is this breed popular? Are they very rare & hard to find? Do you think I would be able to sell hatching eggs & maybe chicks & adults if I bought some? Just wondering if I should invest in these guys. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
They are certainly not a "popular" breed, however, that might be what makes them so desirable to people. I hatched my first Brabs on March 21st. At two weeks old I decided to sell the ones that came out beardless or with other less desirable traits. I also had half brabanter/ameraucana and half-brabanter/buttercups that hatched.

I posted a listing on Craigslist and on VarageSale and I had ten sold in 2 days. People on VarageSale were inquiring as to when I would have more available, so now I'm collecting for incubation.

I had no intention on selling babies but now I've changed my mind. I live in the country so I'm sure it depends heavily on location.

You may want to try hatching a batch and see what kind of response you get.

I'm new to BC as a member although I've been reading their helpful info for a while here and there online. I fell in love with the Brabanters and Apenzeller S's first sight. Has anyone had problems with breeders? I can't seem to get anything but infertile eggs. I'm also 99% sure that the Brabanter breeder and the Spitz breeder are the same people. The eggs appearance,and the markings written on the eggs were identical and neither of the eggs were fertile. These breeders also apparently have addresses that are probably minutes apart. I feel like I may have been duped twice with useless eggs.

I'm new to BC as a member although I've been reading their helpful info for a while here and there online. I fell in love with the Brabanters and Apenzeller S's first sight. Has anyone had problems with breeders? I can't seem to get anything but infertile eggs. I'm also 99% sure that the Brabanter breeder and the Spitz breeder are the same people. The eggs appearance,and the markings written on the eggs were identical and neither of the eggs were fertile. These breeders also apparently have addresses that are probably minutes apart. I feel like I may have been duped twice with useless eggs.
there are plenty of dishonest and or incompetent "breeders" selling eggs.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom