Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
Actually it might be beneficial if you could outcross to a non Brahma vulture hocked bird, or better yet, a splash colored vulture hocked bird, rendering every resulting chick blue, there by removing any chance of mismarking any chicks and inadvertently increasing the problem in your flock.

Yeah well, I haven't seen you refer to "pyles" in Brahmas yet.

Hmmm. I wonder where I could find a splash VH bird? I'll have to think on that.

Every time I see "pyles" I think of you. I think that maybe no one pays any attention to either of us. My bugaboo is "rooster", but I've given up on that one.

England is full of them, apparently.

I jumped on a guy at a swap a couple months back. He has been buying birds off me for a few years now, and sells eggs online. He referred to a "ROO" . I told him he's been at this long enough that it was high time he started talking like he at least sounded like he knew what he was doing. I think he took it ok.

Hi guys i got the green light to add some large brahmas to my group! Whos gonna have pullets in sept in ohio i go to springfield in late sept I want really nice ladies big heads !!! My bantys i got from jackie koetadich!! I want really nice girls

Hmmm. I wonder where I could find a splash VH bird? I'll have to think on that.
I might have just what you need.
wink.png
You're welcome to it.
I don't want to muddy up the breeder thread so I'll post pics at the 'Backyard' thread.

So is there anything to sexing at hatch by how fleshy the comb area is? I hope this is appropriate for this thread.. Just looking at these two I see a big difference.

Hello expert brahma breeders! I'm starting to build up a flock of buff laced and gold laced brahmas and was curious about the current situation with the buff lacing color with brahmas. I've read that if you breed the buff to themselves, they start turning white. So my question is, how often do I have to cross them back to the gold laced? I was thinking of keeping a buff laced cock in with a mixture of buff laced/gold laced hens and in another group keep a gold laced cock over a mixture of buff and gold laced. Will that suffice in keeping the buff lacing strong?

Hello expert brahma breeders! I'm starting to build up a flock of buff laced and gold laced brahmas and was curious about the current situation with the buff lacing color with brahmas. I've read that if you breed the buff to themselves, they start turning white. So my question is, how often do I have to cross them back to the gold laced? I was thinking of keeping a buff laced cock in with a mixture of buff laced/gold laced hens and in another group keep a gold laced cock over a mixture of buff and gold laced. Will that suffice in keeping the buff lacing strong?

I have no experience with breeding buff laced, but have heard of these problems with them. Curious what may the root of these issues.

I have been playing around with other laced Brahma varieties for quite a while. Once the genetics for proper single lacing is set, there does not seem to be an issue with that.

My silver laced have been holding proper color and pattern for many years with no issues.

My gold based single laced birds have not seemed to have any problems holding base color, although I am going the other way, breeding for a deep mahogany red base color.

I wonder if it is the combination of dominant white with the buff that is the issue ? There are genetics at play here to dilute the gold to a buff. Any standard buff (columbian) Brahma breeders have any issues with base color fading out ? If anything I have heard of issues with them keeping males from getting too red.

I wonder if this is also an issue for buff lace Polish breeders ?

Back to your question, the dominant white of the buff laced only requires one copy to show itself. So the buff laced you currently have may carry one or two copies of dominant white. A two copy dominant white buff laced bred to gold laced will produce all one copy dominant white buff laced.

A one copy dominant white buff laced breed to gold laced will produce 50% one copy dominant white buff laced, and 50% gold laced.

So is there anything to sexing at hatch by how fleshy the comb area is? I hope this is appropriate for this thread.. Just looking at these two I see a big difference.

I have tried just about every sexing trick that I could find for Brahmas. Not one of them worked more than 50/50, which to me is a good as just guessing. Sorry, but let us know if you figure anything out!

Back
Top Bottom