Brahma Breeders thread

@yeye5 Brahmas are awesome!! They are my favorite breed, bar none. If I ever stop breeding chickens, I will still keep Brahmas. They're big, beautiful, & so sweet. I've never had any aggressive Brahma. I have a few Gold Laced hens that're coming on 3 years old & they still lay great! I can usually keep two cockerels in the same pen with no trouble & have even housed juveniles with full grown boys & had no problems whatsoever. I don't buy hatchery birds now but have in the past. I find that they're not as sweet as good quality, well bred Brahmas. But that's jmo. Plus, I don't like "standard" colored anything & you can't find Buff Laced, Gold Laced, Blue Partridge or Lavender at a hatchery. :) We moved from middle GA to NE Fl (a lil N of Daytona) & my Brahmas have been fine. We used to live in SW FL & had Brahmas there as well. They had no problems with the heat. Of course, we had shady spots for them to lay in & plenty of clean water. My Brahmas don't tend to go broody but I don't breed for broodiness. I don't let my girls sit on eggs, I have an incubator for that. lol My guys are BIG! People that see them are astonished at their size most of the time & mine aren't the biggest I've seen. You will find hatchery birds to be much smaller than breeder bred birds. It's because hatcheries don't necessarily breed Brahmas to other Brahmas. There could be other breeds in the mix. Anyhow, I'm not sure if I answered any of your questions. lol If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to PM me. I definitely don't know everything but I'll try to help you in any way I can. :)

I love my brahmas. They're so nice compared to other breeds I've been around because they're docile. 1 question are these hatchery chicks? If so then they're bred for laying. I had some a couple years ago and still have 1 hen. The cockerels were jerks. My well bred rooster is a sweetheart. I have 14 heritage bred ones and 1 haychery bred. They they good medium sized brown eggs, will go broody if you let them, and are awesome mommas. I haven't had any problems with adding to the flock. Yes they are BIG chickens. They're slow to mature. My last hatching was September 1, 2016 and the cockerel still isn't up to size to process, and the pullets won't start laying until May/June time frame. Usually around 9 to 10 months of age. They love mud. They love compost heaps, they love making a mess of both lol. I've had this flock for over a year and still love them. They give me enough eggs to cook with, supply some of my family, and still raise a clutch or 2. I let 2 hens raise some last year and the youngest are still doing great. I did lose 1 to a hawk last year, but the rest are doing great. Don't put their roosts above knee level because once they get big it's harder for them to get up on them. Also after about 5 6 months they don't fly. They're just too big. I love mine. I walk out of the house and they come running to see if I have any goodies for them.
Thank you. This all sounds wonderfully encouraging! I love big birds. I love small birds. I adore feathered feet. Last year I had looked into a variety of new to me breeds and felt very attracted to Brahmas. I forwent (is that a word?) buying from the hatcheries for several reason, one of which was simply that Mima brooded 3 separate clutches (June, September and November 2016). I want to enjoy all stages of birdiness and didn't want to get into what felt like "acquisition mode". I have all the time in the world in my life (for a 53 year old that is) to explore breeds slowly and get to be involved with, and learn from and about them.

The feed store sounds like they're getting locally farm-bred chicks rather than having hatcheries ship in. They said this morning that they don't know what breeds they're getting next week bcs it just depends on what becomes available.
I asked this question as well in response to the other reply I kindly got but I'm really wanting 4 pullets plus one cockerel. I pre-paid for 5.
They said the chicks are sexed already to within 90% certainty.

What would I be looking for if I look for traits that indicate pullet or cockerel in chicks?
My math may make zero sense, but I'm thinking that a 10% chance x5 chicks gives me an overall 50% chance of getting a cockerel in there even with my eyes closed.

Sorry to repeat myself. I'm leaving the house for my dog's routine vet appt. I'll have my phone and/or tablet along to read replies before I go in to pick up my chicks.
I feel very excited!!!

I think you'll find no one has given advice how to choose the sex because there isn't a reliable one at this age (minus vent sexing). For some reason, in the back of my head there was something about down patterns, but a quick Google brought up nothing. Just pick out a variety of things. Brahmas being slow to mature can take longer to develop the sexual differences in the comb or tail.

I go by the end of the wings. Longer is boy shorter is girl. If you look at the fluff/feathers on the back/end of the wings that's what I look at to tell. Katie wouldn't let me near her brood, and Callie tried to kick me in her own brahma way when i tried to check her brood lol. Foghorn is a good daddy and he tried to bow up at me until I brought out the yummy mealworms lol. They make great mommas. I'm hoping my blue big Mama will go broody this year.

I think you'll find no one has given advice how to choose the sex because there isn't a reliable one at this age (minus vent sexing). For some reason, in the back of my head there was something about down patterns, but a quick Google brought up nothing. Just pick out a variety of things. Brahmas being slow to mature can take longer to develop the sexual differences in the comb or tail.
At least that coincides with what happened...I was unable to get internet access in the places I went today so by the time I ran into the feed store (which would be closing in 25 minutes, I went to the brooder where the Brahmas were being kept. They are approx 2 weeks old and are beginning to get wing feathers. I picked out some fat healthy looking/feeling birds. One of them is lighter in general and especially lighter in the face. But that can certainly be variation in the breed.
My "chicken math" said that if there's a 10% chance in each bird that it is a cockerel, then over the purchase of the 5 of them, there would be a 50% chance of getting a male. I also told them that was part of my goal and asked them to plz find out (unless they're somehow hatching all females and plz find That trick out!) what they do with their males and if I could special order one.
I feel it was an overall very successful selection and purchase process.
They are beyond beautiful!
I quickly intro'd them to their adopting mama Mima and their new adopted sibling Itsy, and did not turn back! They are big enough and Mima is sweet enoough to concede to them as they were getting nestled in her feathers. They seemed so happy to have a real hen instead of brightly lit brooders in a public stiore! I feel very good about the match up.
As luck would have it they also had just today--between my early a.m. call to pay for my 5 Brahmas and my 5 p.m. arrival (dog in tow in the car!) got in Wyandottes! Not knowing what I was doing really I picked out 2 of them, their first or second day after hatching. They are also very pretty and I know I've loved seeing them in photos...and I trust in this board and in my research ability...so Wyandottes meet Mima. Mima oh, yes, you have 2 more extra chicks. (*Mima winks at me and says, thanks. They're sweet).
The Wyandottes are Gold Laced,.
I can't wait to read more and learn more about both breeds, but here I am on the Brahma thread with 5 new Brahma babies and I couldn't be more delighted. I wanted to settle them in before it got chilly or dusky so I will take some cute chicken pics tomorrow when it better warm up!
Any and all advice from the Brahma experts and afficionados is more than welcome!
For this evening, I went out just now (mid-post) and I hear no distressed peeping. I will assume that means they are all tucked in and warm and they'll be photo ready tomorrow.

love.gif

@yeye5 Brahmas are awesome!! They are my favorite breed, bar none. If I ever stop breeding chickens, I will still keep Brahmas. They're big, beautiful, & so sweet. I've never had any aggressive Brahma. I have a few Gold Laced hens that're coming on 3 years old & they still lay great! I can usually keep two cockerels in the same pen with no trouble & have even housed juveniles with full grown boys & had no problems whatsoever. I don't buy hatchery birds now but have in the past. I find that they're not as sweet as good quality, well bred Brahmas. But that's jmo. Plus, I don't like "standard" colored anything & you can't find Buff Laced, Gold Laced, Blue Partridge or Lavender at a hatchery. :) We moved from middle GA to NE Fl (a lil N of Daytona) & my Brahmas have been fine. We used to live in SW FL & had Brahmas there as well. They had no problems with the heat. Of course, we had shady spots for them to lay in & plenty of clean water. My Brahmas don't tend to go broody but I don't breed for broodiness. I don't let my girls sit on eggs, I have an incubator for that. lol My guys are BIG! People that see them are astonished at their size most of the time & mine aren't the biggest I've seen. You will find hatchery birds to be much smaller than breeder bred birds. It's because hatcheries don't necessarily breed Brahmas to other Brahmas. There could be other breeds in the mix. Anyhow, I'm not sure if I answered any of your questions. lol If you ever need anything, don't hesitate to PM me. I definitely don't know everything but I'll try to help you in any way I can. :)
You've answer them all. As I get to know these newcomers in my life, I'm sure that will present me with more questions. I brought home 5 gorgeous 2 week olds. You're right, they are 3X if not more the size of Itsy the silkie chick. So far no one seems to mind. My early a.m. walkabout will be my first sigh of relief (due to the goofy winter that's visiting unannounced). Then, a day...24 hours together with their adoptive mom hen Mima will say a lot about the chicks and also my Mima broody butt.
I think we have a good understanding in the works. Mima has adopted standard size eggs, hatched them and has taken them thru 3 1/2=4 months of age. Despite her very petite size she's an excellent mama and she rules with a stern claw! I've never seen a chick--even her equal or larger in size--ever challenge her in any way for any reason.
Daddy roo is just as sweet. He has never ever been away from his feathered wife while she broods eggs nor chicks. He stands firm in frot of the nest looking like the man's man rooster. (I think he's very proud of his work!)
Photos tomorrow. I need to get up and at it before daybreak just for me to feel comfortable with the arrangement I created on the sly while everyone--chickens--was looking the other way!
The presto=switcho was hilarious!
I also got myself somehow driving home with 2 gold laced Wyandottes. I put them in the nest first as they are day olds, maybe 2 days. Mima said, "oh yes, I get it...my long lost children"...while those were nestling into her feathers, I unceremoniously placed the 5 Brahmas in! They are huge compared to their same age 2 week old sibling! She shrugged and said "um, really? ok I get it, my long lost children as they too tucked into her feathers. Within 5 minutes or less, she looked twice her size from all of the little peeps tucked in everywhere. She was smiling like only a broody can smile!
Photos coming up in the warmer hours tomorrow!
And I WILL take you up on the p.m. invitation! We are close in distance, climate and love for feathered family!
I love chickens!

I go by the end of the wings. Longer is boy shorter is girl. If you look at the fluff/feathers on the back/end of the wings that's what I look at to tell. Katie wouldn't let me near her brood, and Callie tried to kick me in her own brahma way when i tried to check her brood lol. Foghorn is a good daddy and he tried to bow up at me until I brought out the yummy mealworms lol. They make great mommas. I'm hoping my blue big Mama will go broody this year.
That's GREAT! At what age do you intro treats such as mealworms?

I usually let momma decide. I don't incubate anymore lol. I keep grit out. If I have chicks then I put out a container next to the grit station with baby grit and they eat the same stuff as everyone else. I use the nutrena feather fixer as regular food, with their supplemented compost heap killing runs for the bugs, and goodies I put in it. There is nothing off limits unless you fence it to them. I don't really worry about it. I lost 1 to a juvenile hawk last year but other than that none. They're fenced off from becoming coyote bait and I just let them be happy and healthy. I'm collecting eggs until it warms up at night. I'm hoping for more cockerels thus time around lol.

Another question crossed my mind that will help me decide in terms of which pen/coop area they'll move to when they get to that stage. Most very docile birds are also pretty easy prey targets. Size of the Brahmas described would help them discourage attack by air (one and only one of my day runs is uncovered on top due to its large free range feel). That is called "Upstairs", names easily bcs it is up on a small Florida rise. I do have hawks and they have hunted.
Upstairs night coop is covered and enclosed on all walls. Racoons are the issue there. But all birds sleep and I recently had a terrible string of night attacks that did not differentiate in the slightest between the most mellow bird to the "meanest"toughest bird. )Mean to predators, a gentleman with the ladies and a very dominant roo. His alert skills were amazing. He is gone, having been grabbed while sleeping.
Needless to say improvements are being made in that area/pen. There are 3 birds in it now which allows for sleeping way in from the sides. There is lighting run to the area. The first night of lighting there was no attack and has not been since. I will also run a series of hot-wires before I repopulate that area.
Right around the time the Brahmas will be ready for a move, the area will also be ready for repopulation. Then there is the condo, lit, enclosed, but smaller. It was originally intended as a project/experiment pen to cross polish and silkie then add frizzle. (But for safety sake there are also 5 mixed pullets in there now). That's an expand or stop # of inhabitants. The silkie house is just what it says.
I plan another pen in the rear covered by the electric to run lights and perhaps hotwire as well. That may become Brahma headquarters.

LOst my question in my rambling,sorry.
Question: How do Brahmas fare with air predators and night predators (most specifically raccoons but there are also fox, possums, the assorted FL wildlife. ?
Thank you.
I'm going to post pics below.

This is Itsy, hatched 3-1--a very tiny silkie chick along side of an adopted Brahma sibling of 2 weeks old.

Here are the Brahma 5! Why do (my) chickens always show their butts for pics?
We have: Daisy, Tulip, Sunflower, Azalea and Ziva!

Back
Top Bottom