Brahma Breeders thread

My friend wants me to breed and hatch Brahma chickens for him. He is wanting to sell eggs, fertile eggs, chicks and possibly started pullets and cockerels or six-week-olds. I have a couple questions I hope some of the more experienced breeders may answer. I need to quantify "more experienced" by saying I have no experience and I will apologize in advance in case my questions are dumb. Please point out if my questions are dumb and speak freely if you are of the opinion that I have no business undertaking this project.

In preface to my first question, I'll tell you where I am in this process. My friend brought me some eggs to hatch from a guy who has only LF Light Brahma chickens. When hatched, the eggs produced both Light Brahma and Buff Brahma. My question is, how is this possible? My friend wants only Light Brahma, so I want to be sure I don't cause this to happen again.

I also would like to select only the best of the Light Brahma I have to breed. I don't want to muddy the waters of the Brahma breed, so I would like to do this right, if I'm going to do it. I have read the APA standards and I confess I don't completely understand what I am looking for. I was wondering, if I make an album of pics, like on my Facebook or something, of the chooks I have if someone would be willing to go over them with me and show me what are good qualities and what are not? I want to learn to select the best choices to breed. I believe the parents may be hatchery chickens, so do I have any chance of getting a top quality or show quality bird out of any of these?

As breeders, would you recommend selling the lesser quality birds or culling them? What is the latest age Brahma can be processed? Does it make sense to only process the roos and keep the hens for laying non-fertile eggs?

Are there other things I should know or question to have the greatest success in this undertaking?

I'm so sorry for the super long post! I hope some pros will be willing to help me.

Many of you might have seen this video all over the net.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/03/21/giant-chicken-video/

I think from reading that it went viral on twitter.

Anyways where in the U.S.A. can I get some chicken like that? And what do you think the coop space would be needed per bird.

I don't really want to chance that one may grow that big. I want to know that they will when I purchase them.

So any thoughts?

Scott

Lol welcome to Brahma envy. My Foghorn is a bit smaller than that rooster is. Foghorn is also just 3. A lady I met on this board helped me with mine. All my chickens except my hatchery girl are big Madea is about the size of my youngest girls. They're just 7 months old now. She's 3 yrs also. That rooster in the video is huge. He's gorgeous and I would love to get my mitts on him. I can't remember where he's from, but it's somewhere in Europe. I wouldn't do let than 6 ft a bird at his size, and only if they're outside most of the day. When it comes time to replace Foghorn I want one like him. You're best bet for finding a rooster like the one in the video is shows.

I quit feeding chick feed because my adult birds were eating it and not the chicks. So I just feed Feather Fixer to everyone free choice. It's 18% protein. I'm even feeding it to my ducklings. They also get their nummies of black oil sunflower seeds, scratch, and mealworms at times. They love the compost heap, and I just added some mulch they're going ballistic for. Keep them happy and healthy moving them legs. I love their happy chicken sounds. Mine also get any weeds, veggie scraps, and garden leftovers.

Many of you might have seen this video all over the net.

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/03/21/giant-chicken-video/

I think from reading that it went viral on twitter.

Anyways where in the U.S.A. can I get some chicken like that? And what do you think the coop space would be needed per bird.

I don't really want to chance that one may grow that big. I want to know that they will when I purchase them.

So any thoughts?

Scott

Hi Scott, I watched all the videos that these people put out. 3 total and if you have seen this one https://www.facebook.com/pressofworld/?pnref=story stop it at -.16 and you will see a shadow of the guys hand as he tosses either a juvenile or it might be a hen. These birds are not that big as you might think. Also, the camera is positioned on the ground to make it look like these guys were bred with ostriches. Just saying.

My Brahmas aren't that big but they're big, 12+ lbs....I breed Gold Laced, Buff Laced, Blue Partridge & Lavender (below). PM me if you have any questions.

Hi Scott, I watched all the videos that these people put out. 3 total and if you have seen this one https://www.facebook.com/pressofworld/?pnref=story stop it at -.16 and you will see a shadow of the guys hand as he tosses either a juvenile or it might be a hen. These birds are not that big as you might think. Also, the camera is positioned on the ground to make it look like these guys were bred with ostriches. Just saying.

Here is a pictur of my Sussex cross next to a 5 gallon bucket. Bending down to his level makes him look huge

Back
Top Bottom