Breda Fowl thread

Pics
Ours are doing great upstate in the bitter cold. They are not breeding and laying yet though. Still playing the waiting game for eggs which is really not such a bad thing considering the weather.

I really love their personalities. Mellow and super sweet. The blacks are gorgeous with that incredible sheen.. I thought I'd prefer the blue but it's a real toss up now that they've matured. The splash are beautiful but don't have as much sheen which I think is just gorgeous. The cockerels look pretty fierce but so far they're mostly couch potatoes. I can't wait to set some of their eggs!
love.gif

I am still trying to get my hands on either a cockerel (though for a bird, I dont know how I would do shipping...) or some hatching eggs for my bator. Please shoot me a pm if you have either.

We had a probably raccoon attack and lost most of our breda flock, including our favorites and some of our laying flock too.
hit.gif
We are starting over with hatching eggs but it's going to take what feels like forever to revuild.. They were just getting ready to lay.. Why do they always have to take the favorites???
he.gif

We had a probably raccoon attack and lost most of our breda flock, including our favorites and some of our laying flock too.
hit.gif
We are starting over with hatching eggs but it's going to take what feels like forever to revuild.. They were just getting ready to lay.. Why do they always have to take the favorites???
he.gif

I am so sorry. We lost 1/2 of our flock one year to raccoons. It was awful. I remember being up at 2 am and closing every little gap in my coop with plywood to keep them out. I know I don't have enough ventilation but no raccoon can get in.

So sorry that you lost your Breda fowl. Mine are nearly a year old now and I fall more in love with them everyday. I may buy some hatching eggs this year too to try and get some splashes.

hit.gif
he.gif
How terrible! It usually is the birds one like the most, that get eaten. I hope you can build up your flock soon. Did you manage to have a hen and rooster survive the attack?

Quote: I can't say I blame you! I'm so sorry.. We absolutely adore the Breda. They are so sweet and really friendly when they know you. A little reserved when they don't. And pretty too.. I really love their eyes especially.
Quote: Only one black pullet remains. Both roosters and all the other hens, blue, black and splash were killed, taken or injured to the point where they had to be put down. I have eggs going in next week so hopefully there will be more growing out soon. We have a possible rooster on the horizon, but not sure if it will pan out yet. It's traumatic losing so many at once. For us and the surviving birds. We are ramping up the security on the pens in hopes that this will never happen again. Until now, we've only had hawk attacks which are bad enough. This was completely unexpected.
roll.png

We sold our unrelated pair of Breda that we hatch from GFF egg that we got last April. We simple didn't have the coop space and had to narrow down the number of breeds we were keeping. We hope that the new owner will breed the pair and have the time that we didn't think we would have for them.

We collected 10 Breda eggs and hatched them for ourself before we sold the pair so that we could keep some white egg layers in our mixed flock. Funny thing is that 80% of the people that have come to our place since then have tried to buy the Breda from us.

Before we ran out of coop space we wanted to sell Breda for about $5-$6 each for local pick up in hopes that lots of peopel would try something besides RIR & Black Sex Links for a change and see this unique and gentle breed and fall in love with them like we did. We weren't getting any takers for orders, but could have sold a Breda about one for one for everthing we did had orders for. People ussually place orders for about 4-6 chicks with us but when they come it pick up their chicks and see the the amazingly blue breda in the brooder want to take 2-4 of them home with them too.

I guess the way to promote the Breda breed in our communities is to NOT advertize them at all but always keep some in the brooder to offer to people that come by. Funny...no one ever offers to buy any of the black, brown, or yellow chicks on an impulse. It is always those silvery blue chicks with the crazy feathered feet that people are dying to take home with them. :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom