Breda Fowl thread

Pics
I saw post for Point of Lay (POL) Breda Pullets.

At what age does a Breda become POL? 30 weeks?

If I got a POL pullet that didn't start laying within 4 weeks I would feel like I had been scammed. If those "POL" Breda pullets were 16-18 weeks old, which I am guessing, the buyer was probably waiting a long time for that first egg. :)

Lol...it will take a few years for the Breda Lines to settle in the USA and for production levels to be established.

Has anyone keep individual or flock laying record for the production of their Breda? My started out laying a storm of eggs, but I didn't keep any layers through the full year so I wasn't able to get any production data. How do they lay after the first 3 months? How do they during hot summers? What size eggs are you getting from mature hens?

Hello all, I posted a bit ago some pics of my Bredas. I think my ratio has changed for the worse:( I thought I was going to have 2 roos and 3 pullets but looking closer today I am seeing saddle feathers! I think I have 4 roos and 1 hen:(:( super dispponted...I started again from the beginning of this thread to find the standard for Breda and its just too much info and taking too long to find. Can someone tell me which page or repost it. Someone about an hr and a 1/2 away from me has a splash pulllet and roo for sale. Id like to be able to tell the quality of them. If her roo is better than all of mine then I can put 3 of my 4 in the pot and add an unrelated pair to my beginner Breda flock. Im obviously a newby to this breed and trying to expand and continue the lines. Thanks!

Attached is the best reference I have found for the Breda breed standards. There is other information on the current BKU site.
http://www.bkuclub.nl/downloads/Brochure_Kraaikop_Engels.pdf

Large Fowl
Cock: 5.5 – 6.5 lbs
Hen: 4 -5 lbs

Bantam
Cock: 32-35 oz.
Hen: 25-28 oz.
Bumping this up.

P.S. I am not expert either, but I would 1) watch the comb area and make sure you don't have any stubs sprouting into the horns type comb. 2) I would look at the line of the breast and make sure it is rounded and full with out any straight lines, 3) I would make sure the back is flat (strait line is what you want here). I would make sure the back is close to Horizontal with very little slope to it. 4) I would make sure the tail was at a low angle (35 degrees from horizontal is ideal, and tails that too high I would avoid). It should be long and full with a good spread. 5) I would look for wings that are held high. The line of the folded wing like the back should also be close to horizontal with the tips pointing to the vents. I would look for best sized cockerel since size can indicate good vigor.

Last edited:
Bumping this up.

P.S. I am not expert either, but I would 1) watch the comb area and make sure you don't have any stubs sprouting into the horns type comb.  2) I would look at the line of the breast and make sure it is rounded and full with out any straight lines,  3) I would make sure the back is flat (strait line is what you want here).  I would make sure the back is close to Horizontal with very little slope to it.  4) I would make sure the tail was at a low angle (35 degrees from horizontal is ideal, and tails that too high I would avoid).  It should be long and full with a good spread. 5) I would look for wings that are held high.  The line of the folded wing like the back should also be close to horizontal with the tips pointing to the vents.  I would look for best sized cockerel since size can indicate good vigor.

Wow, awesome info, thank you so much, I just read your piece and gonna check out the link now.. Thanks!

Does anybody know if Splash and Mottled is the same? And if not , what are the differences. Can you get molted by mixing Blacks with Whites? Greenfire is working on a white Breda line, wondering if I put myself on their list and mix them with my Black ones if I can create Mottled.

Last edited:
No they are different. A chicken that inherits the "Blue" gene from one of its parents with have all the black plumage on its body diluted to blue.

A chicken that inherits the "Blue" gene from both of its parents with have all the black plumage on its body "double diluted" and come out almost white with some traces of blue called splash.

Below are some of my Breda from this year. A Blue Breda is at the top right and moving to the left is a black and then a splash Breda.

The molting gene will not turn black plumage to blue or splash. it only effect the tips of the body feathers turning them white. So if you have a black bird it ends up looking black with white spots. This gene come up in other colors too where you can have red and other color birds with white spots.

Post #20 of this thread (see below) shows what a black molted Breda looks like.

Here are some pics of my Breda's (or Kraaikoppen as we call them in The Netherlands). They're from the new colour black mottled and I've bought them this year. Though familiair with the breed I never had any beore, but I just fell in love with this colour. One of the well known breeders had to cut down and as a member of the breed club I could get his own last breeding trio and a young rooster. A great opportunity and I would be a fool to say no (but had to get rid of the Marans unfortunately). According to him this is as good as they come here in The Netherlands (pehaps he was a little bit subjective, but why doubt him?). So I look forward to a nice breeding season with a lot of chicks!
Compared to my Brabanters they're quite majestic in their movements, relaxed (but alert) and not so very clever. But they do well together and I can have the two rooster together with the flock. So that's a nice temperament too (can do that with my Brabanters too, but never with the Marans). I've got them one month and I'm still sort of "in love" with them.

Crossing White Breda with Black Breda would produce all Black Breda if the whites were created with recessive white and would produce all white breda if the white were created with dominate white with no other color modifiers.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom