Breda Fowl thread

Pics
Can't say Im having problems with the Breda's. We've had 0 degrees weather in NJ the last 2 days. They didn't come out of their coop though, where I had a heat lamp hanging. My Barnevelder rooster has a little purple in his comb from frost, but the Breda's seem to have weathered it well. Can there be some other cause? Weird that with 70 chickens all together only the Breda's died.

Can't say Im having problems with the Breda's. We've had 0 degrees weather in NJ the last 2 days. They didn't come out of their coop though, where I had a heat lamp hanging. My Barnevelder rooster has a little purple in his comb from frost, but the Breda's seem to have weathered it well. Can there be some other cause? Weird that with 70 chickens all together only the Breda's died.

No problems with mine either. I had to tuck my girls in at night as they like roosting on top of the coop. The coop is not heated nor is there a light and temperatures hovered about 20 degrees for about 10 days.

Off topic but... I am wintering over 70+ chickens... several different breeds. I have lost 3 Bredas... no other breeds. Are others finding this breed not very winter hardy?
We keep our Bredas in an unheated coop with an attached run. The run is roofed, so it stays pretty dry. The cold doesn't seem to phase them in the least. (Though I suppose the true test comes in the next few days with wind chills up to -30) However, I have noticed they hate snow. Our Bredas refuse to walk in the stuff, even if it means skipping food or water. This seemed to pose a bigger threat to the birds in a free-range situation. My father lost both of the Bredas I gave him, as they refused to walk across the snow and go to the coop at night.

I lost a 5 week old Breda last March on a freezing night but I am guessing it would have been fine if I had done a bed check and moved it under the heat source with the group rather than its perch away from the heat were it spent the night alone.

I took a Blue Breda Cockerel to the Blue Bonnet Classic Poultry Show yesterday. One person asked me if I dubbed its comb.
hmm.png
Another man was at the cage when I come to check on my cockerel and was saying, "I have seen every bird at this show and this is the one that really stick out to me. I have never heard of this breed before." It was fun to have such a good looking cockerel at the show for everyone to talk about. He had broken foot feathers which was a really shame and his tail was not in really good show condition either but at least he was at the show so people could see what a Breda is.

Last edited:
Off topic but... I am wintering over 70+ chickens... several different breeds. I have lost 3 Bredas... no other breeds. Are others finding this breed not very winter hardy?

Just the opposite - I find the Breda to be extremely winter hardy. We've had roller-coaster weather all year, our first hard freeze came in mid September, then winter actually came to stay with a nastiness the last week of October. Frequent dips into single-digits, snowstorms, December saw 3 straight weeks of not getting to the freezing mark (totally not what the weather in this valley has ever been like!)......................haven't lost a single Breda. Mine play in the snow, love to eat ice chips when I am breaking ice in their water dishes, and generally have a great time even in today's winds with low wind chills - it was 0 overnight.

Could other bigger breeds be crowding them into corners or standing on them at night? I've found that can happen when raising the juvies.

Doc

Our mottled hen

The cold weather test arrived and the Breda passed without any trouble. We finally got out of the negatives today, and had wind chills up to -30.

I lost a 5 week old Breda last March on a freezing night but I am guessing it would have been fine if I had done a bed check and moved it under the heat source with the group rather than its perch away from the heat were it spent the night alone.

I took a Blue Breda Cockerel to the Blue Bonnet Classic Poultry Show yesterday. One person asked me if I dubbed its comb.
hmm.png
Another man was at the cage when I come to check on my cockerel and was saying, "I have seen every bird at this show and this is the one that really stick out to me. I have never heard of this breed before." It was fun to have such a good looking cockerel at the show for everyone to talk about. He had broken foot feathers which was a really shame and his tail was not in really good show condition either but at least he was at the show so people could see what a Breda is.

Nice looking cockerel Gary! Nice to hear that Breda's are hitting the show room.

No they are different. A chicken that inherits the "Blue" gene from one of its parents with have all the black plumage on its body diluted to blue.

A chicken that inherits the "Blue" gene from both of its parents with have all the black plumage on its body "double diluted" and come out almost white with some traces of blue called splash.

Below are some of my Breda from this year. A Blue Breda is at the top right and moving to the left is a black and then a splash Breda.

The molting gene will not turn black plumage to blue or splash. it only effect the tips of the body feathers turning them white. So if you have a black bird it ends up looking black with white spots. This gene come up in other colors too where you can have red and other color birds with white spots.

Post #20 of this thread (see below) shows what a black molted Breda looks like.

Crossing White Breda with Black Breda would produce all Black Breda if the whites were created with recessive white and would produce all white breda if the white were created with dominate white with no other color modifiers.

What age are your Breda?
I have some just starting to get wattles and some with barely any, I'm really anxious to know the gender

The trio above was hatch in March of 2013 from a pair that we hatch in May of 2012. We though the 2012 pair were both pullet at 10 weeks but by 12 weeks old the wattles had come in on the *wattles-edit* (cockerel). The 2013 group we had a better idea of what to look for and were pretty sure who the cockerels and who the pullets were by about 6 weeks (i.e. larger wide birds we though were cockerels and narrower smaller pullets). All of our early guess ended up being correct. and between 10-12 weeks the wattles of the cockerels again can in on the boys. The trio in the photos were about 4 months old. The splash was a pullet and the blue and black were cockerels.

Last edited:
Okay, thank you.
I could tell from your pic what they were, but some of mine are unclear. I have to look up exactly how old they are, I think around 8 weeks. Some are clearly boys, some look like girls, and there are a few that are questionable-- they have clear wattles, but not as low as some of the others. I will have to give them a few more weeks.

Back
Top Bottom