Breda Fowl thread

Pics
I went back & checked and mine are actually between 12 & 13 weeks old, I lost track of time. They seem small to me in comparison to others though. I am guessing I have 3 of each. When I first tried to sex them at 1 week old I had thought it was 2 cockerals and 4 pullets based on how quickly they were getting tail feathers.

Thoughts???

pullet, cockerel, pullet?

cockerel, pullet, cockerel?

Last edited:
The trio above was hatch in March of 2013 from a pair that we hatch in May of 2012. We though the 2012 pair were both pullet at 10 weeks but by 12 weeks old the wattles had come in on the wattles. The 2013 group we had a better idea of what to look for and were pretty sure who the cockerels and who the pullets were by about 6 weeks (i.e. larger wide birds we though were cockerels and narrower smaller pullets). All of our early guess ended up being correct. and between 10-12 weeks the wattles of the cockerels again can in on the boys. The trio in the photos were about 4 months old. The splash was a pullet and the blue and black were cockerels.
And you did it too! Did you mean Red came in on the Wattles?
wink.png

I went back & checked and mine are actually between 12 & 13 weeks old, I lost track of time. They seem small to me in comparison to others though. I am guessing I have 3 of each. When I first tried to sex them at 1 week old I had thought it was 2 cockerals and 4 pullets based on how quickly they were getting tail feathers.

Thoughts???

pullet, cockerel, pullet?

cockerel, pullet, cockerel?
That's what it looks like to me.

After our cold snap of minus degree temps all 3 of the Breda rooster had varying degrees of black wattles. Glad to see they all are getting the red color back in the wattles. Haven't haven't had wattles damaged before. Have had combs frost bit. Was surprised to see them return to normal so quickly after being that black.

I have another rooster (not Breda) that had black comb and wattles. Noticed on him that his spurs were black. Any thoughts/comments on damage/issues that might have to be watched for? Color change happened during the cold spell.

Hey I was researching Bredas and ran across this piece of information on a scientific study.

Discontinuous variability of brain composition among domestic chicken breeds.

Rehkämper G, Kart E, Frahm HD, Werner CW.
Author information

Abstract

In 80 domestic chickens from 8 breeds, the volumes of 12 brain parts were identified as dimensions in a cluster analysis. Based on Euclidean metrics and the Ward algorithm at least 2 groups were found that are congruent with the breeds 'White Crested Polish chicken' and 'Breda', although the breed identity was not a variable used in the cluster analysis. Domestication is interpreted as evolution which includes the possibility of speciation. It is hypothesized that White Crested Polish chickens and Bredas are becoming new species in terms of a biospecies concept.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12660443

I just read the Abstract, but I am wondering is that means that Breda and White Polish will no longer be able to produces offspring when crossed with other breeds. Wait that is silly...I know of plenty of crosses with white polish and Breda to other breeds. I think science over complicates simple matters in many cases.

I just read the Abstract, but I am wondering is that means that Breda and White Polish will no longer be able to produces offspring when crossed with other breeds. Wait that is silly...I know of plenty of crosses with white polish and Breda to other breeds. I think science over complicates simple matters in many cases.

Well they say they are changing but it could take several of our lifetimes before they moved beyond being able to cross on other chickens.

Back
Top Bottom