BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

Well, that explains why I didn't get a reply when I emailed. I'd love to bring in a few well-bred GLWs to supplement what I'm working on. I do have one hen (I named her Beauty) that is LARGE and has good shape. I didn't expect one in the F2, but I am certainly not complaining.

Oddly, only my ISA Brown layer pullets are doing any serious laying down here. Makes me think we've got another cold blast coming.

Hoping this is the year I can work on getting the tail angle on my New Hampshire pullets lower.

Also adding another egg laying flock as egg demand is going up. More leghorns, some sexlinks, and then maybe some hamburgs if I can find the right birds.

Would like to start a sop project with White Wyandottes, but can't find any good starter birds. And Urch is not hatching this year because of health issues.

I was just told a couple of days ago that he's liquidated most of his stock due to health issues.

Hamburgs are favorites. I actually found out about Urch selling his stock when I was asking for breeder recommendations for Golden Penciled Hamburgs. Found a guy who has had them for 30 years that I'll be purchasing a trio from next year.

Yes, Urch is downsizing, but hoping to keep some stock for next year. I'm guessing only a few breeds, but couln't guess as to which ones. At least that's what I gathered from the email i received.

The goldens are gorgeous birds. I'm looking for silver spangled. I may go another route though.

I'm at a crossroads. I like the thrift and style of the leghorns. I enjoy eating them as well. I like my New Hampshires, but they just seem kind of "lazy". I'm thinking about a Mediterranean breed, spanish maybe, that is spunky and thrifty, but more of a dual purpose bird for some nice roasters as well as good fryers.

So I was thinking maybe some Blue Andalusians would fit the bill. Hard to find good stock as Horstman no longer breeds them. Also the whole Black, blue, splash thing and wanting a white or buff bird for a cleaner carcass.

So then I thought I'd just make my own strain of White Andalusians. I figured that there is no point really and I should just increase the size of my white leghorns. Catalanas just seem too close to the new hampshire, but might be what I'm looking for.

So I have some thinking to do. The egg flock will be easy, it's the rest that keeps me going lol.

Yes, Urch is downsizing, but hoping to keep some stock for next year. I'm guessing only a few breeds, but couln't guess as to which ones. At least that's what I gathered from the email i received.

The goldens are gorgeous birds. I'm looking for silver spangled. I may go another route though.

I'm at a crossroads. I like the thrift and style of the leghorns. I enjoy eating them as well. I like my New Hampshires, but they just seem kind of "lazy". I'm thinking about a Mediterranean breed, spanish maybe, that is spunky and thrifty, but more of a dual purpose bird for some nice roasters as well as good fryers.

So I was thinking maybe some Blue Andalusians would fit the bill. Hard to find good stock as Horstman no longer breeds them. Also the whole Black, blue, splash thing and wanting a white or buff bird for a cleaner carcass.

So then I thought I'd just make my own strain of White Andalusians. I figured that there is no point really and I should just increase the size of my white leghorns. Catalanas just seem too close to the new hampshire, but might be what I'm looking for.

So I have some thinking to do. The egg flock will be easy, it's the rest that keeps me going lol.

Eric Nelson breeds the SS Hamburgs (I believe he's an APA judge). I also saw a breeder in the 2017 APA yearbook with SS Hamburgs but I don't recall the name currently.

Have you considered Minorcas? I don't personally care for their shape, but they come in your preferred colors, are large, and Spanish. Or you could just keep the Splash Andalusians. They would breed true and they do have a clean carcass.

I too have a lot of projects this year! I am currently working with Buff Orpingtons, BBS Sumatras, Buckeyes, Dominiques, Buff Cochins, Partridge Silkies And Silver Duckwing Yokohamas. We have been busy with birds lately! We are starting to set eggs but with this cold we aren’t having good fertility rates...

My Dominique’s are from Urch lines (but from a breeder using his lines) and I am very pleased with them. I’m actually picking up another cockbird this weekend.

I will also be picking up a Toad Cockerel to use over some Buckeye hens.

All these birds are from Show lines (except the Yokohamas) and I’m super happy with them!

Yes, I do believe you're very busy with birds! :lol:

Eric Nelson breeds the SS Hamburgs (I believe he's an APA judge). I also saw a breeder in the 2017 APA yearbook with SS Hamburgs but I don't recall the name currently.

Have you considered Minorcas? I don't personally care for their shape, but they come in your preferred colors, are large, and Spanish. Or you could just keep the Splash Andalusians. They would breed true and they do have a clean carcass.
Raven Myers?

Someone else suggested Nelson to me as well. I have not sought him out as of yet because I'm not for certain if I want to go in that direction yet.

I had thought about keeping only the splash andalusians, but I can't do that. If I'm gonna work on a breed project I usually go all in and would end up trying to breed good blues and maybe some pure whites on the side.

I also thought about Minorcas, but have not seen any good ones in person. I've also heard they're not the best eating bird because of the texture of the flesh. So haven't looked too hard in that direction.

Thanks for the thoughts on the subjects though. It does help sometimes to have other people brainstorming to.

Someone else suggested Nelson to me as well. I have not sought him out as of yet because I'm not for certain if I want to go in that direction yet.

I had thought about keeping only the splash andalusians, but I can't do that. If I'm gonna work on a breed project I usually go all in and would end up trying to breed good blues and maybe some pure whites on the side.

I also thought about Minorcas, but have not seen any good ones in person. I've also heard they're not the best eating bird because of the texture of the flesh. So haven't looked too hard in that direction.

Thanks for the thoughts on the subjects though. It does help sometimes to have other people brainstorming to.

Choosing a heritage breed to work with has got to be one of the toughest choices to make. You're just reminding me of how grateful I am to have my Silver Grey Dorkings. It's getting harder and harder to find quality stock to work with as fewer and fewer people make the choice to put in the time and effort to really work with breed improvement.

Back
Top Bottom