BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

I lost my main cock back in November. Came home from work and he was laying in the front yard near the corn field half eaten. Ticked me off, as he was the A house cock and put some nice front ends on the pullets/hens.

This year is gonna be a crap shoot with Cock B and new Cockerel for C pen. I didn't have another cockerel at that point to replace him, so three pens and only 2 cocks.

What breed was the roo that you lost, and what state are you in, just in case someone might have an extra roo for you?

I lost my main cock back in November. Came home from work and he was laying in the front yard near the corn field half eaten. Ticked me off, as he was the A house cock and put some nice front ends on the pullets/hens.

This year is gonna be a crap shoot with Cock B and new Cockerel for C pen. I didn't have another cockerel at that point to replace him, so three pens and only 2 cocks.
golly Sorry to hear of your loss, i lost my best & most beautiful & rare australorp roo and the only splash roo i had , i still cant believe he is gone he came from an old SOP famous almost lost blood line , but no predator took him out it was the layer feed that killed him, layer feed can kill a roo with the over load of calcium , i found that out to late to save him , he died from calcium over load kidney damage, he was eating the same feed as the hens for years , so now ive switched the entire flock off of layer and feed the calcium in a separate feeder & i might add i just barely save my blue roo from the same fate my splash roo had suffered , he never seemed ill, i found him on his roost one morning dead , he apparently had just passed away , but thank goodness i have this one other roo from that same old rare blood line a brother of my splash, a beautiful blue roo who has quite a bit to add to the breed as long as he lives , but i gotta say you loose a good roo that can set you back quite a bit , or some times you may never get back what you lost sad to say.:old:th:rant

Last edited:
If availability is so restricted it forces you to buy from places like Greenfire's,I don't have a problem with it. People should look at it as a starting point,not and end point. Trying to refine and improve on all strains IMO should be the goal. That and having FUN:)
I don't think any real breede would purchase birds thinking they are at "the end point" no matter who they purchased from.

Breeding is never totally perfected and most real breeders understand that if you arent improving you are back sliding. There is no such thing as keeping a line stable. Either strive to improve or gradually lose it..

I don't think any real breede would purchase birds thinking they are at "the end point" no matter who they purchased from.

Breeding is never totally perfected and most real breeders understand that if you arent improving you are back sliding. There is no such thing as keeping a line stable. Either strive to improve or gradually lose it..
Good point :thumbsup
Great thread here, one of my favs. Lots of great input here.
I've went from pure white jersey giants, to pure white naked necks...to crossing them. Now have some super big white naked necks that lay great and are meaty.
Soon, next yr hopefully crossing them with cornishX focusing more on the meat aspects of the breed. Love the naked necks. Nothing like plucking half the feathers and the no hair thing is a super plus 😊

Easily said. I'm not one who necessarily believes that form follows function. I handled dogs in AKC, UKC and American Rare Breed Association. I witnessed what breeding to form has done to so many dog breeds. I know...Apples and oranges.
Breeding dogs for form has sometimes turned out to be a negative thing for dogs. Humans may think certain traits are cute but the poor dogs have to live with it.
Good point :thumbsup
Great thread here, one of my favs. Lots of great input here.
I've went from pure white jersey giants, to pure white naked necks...to crossing them. Now have some super big white naked necks that lay great and are meaty.
Soon, next yr hopefully crossing them with cornishX focusing more on the meat aspects of the breed. Love the naked necks. Nothing like plucking half the feathers and the no hair thing is a super plus 😊

...Form fallows function in very few breeds. Well the only one that comes to the top of my head is Sussex. Look at the cattle and poultry industry if function fallows form they would not be using four way crosses....

Humor a newby if you don't mind: In what way does form follow function with Sussex? This is one of the breeds I'm planning to start with.

Back
Top Bottom