BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

ROFL I had forgotten about him!!! OMG the inbreeding was IMPRESSIVE!! lol He was gorgeous though. He was a pin up for sure.

A great example offa quirky gene, that appeared in Impressive and it was a recessive. He created his own disease in the inbred generations to follow. Later a test was developed to help the breeders make good linebreeding decisions.

The gene causes the condition known as HYPP----hyperkalemic periodic paralysis. Actually the gene is dominant, not recessive. That said, all heterozygotes are not symptomatic. They are designated as N/N, N/H or H/H. AQHA now requires that all registered horses with any Impressive breeding have hair samples pulled and tested, unless both parents have been tested and both are N/N.

Got my roo he is a handful.
He's pretty though. Nice big legs and I can't really tell from this angle but looks like a nice big breast too. Very nice! Is he mean or just adventurous and getting into things? I had a hen who would walk straight up to me for pets and then bite me if I stopped the scratching! Not mean just needy!

HYPP is an incomplete dominant like the Frizzle gene in chickens. A double dose greatly affects the lifespan and quality. A single dose is "manageable" and there are still people purposely breeding the N/H horses. Why? I don't know, maybe ask the people who like Frizzles.

The truly frightening genetic disease in horses (not that a 1200+ lb HYPP animal randomly collapsing and having seizures isn't scary) is HERDA. At least to me the effects of it are pretty awful. Basically the skin sloughs off due to injury or pressure. It's typically discovered when a horse is started under saddle - apparently the skin on the back comes off with the saddle sometimes. Life expectancy is 2-4 years.

It traces back to Poco Bueno, a famous cutting stallion. The disease is recessive, so it wasn't found until line-breeding occurred.

He's pretty though. Nice big legs and I can't really tell from this angle but looks like a nice big breast too. Very nice! Is he mean or just adventurous and getting into things? I had a hen who would walk straight up to me for pets and then bite me if I stopped the scratching! Not mean just needy!

He is a nice big bird!! He is a sweet roo, but he is like Houdini. Very sweet to the hens and does the funniest little dance for them. He stomps and drags his wings and flaps and jumps around.

He is a nice big bird!! He is a sweet roo, but he is like Houdini. Very sweet to the hens and does the funniest little dance for them. He stomps and drags his wings and flaps and jumps around.
I had a polish crested that did that dance! He was always my favorite and the hens favorite too. There is something to be said for sweets roosters. I don't keep them if they aren't. Just name them Sunday dinner!
1f601.png
he sounds smart if he is able to escape so much too. I understand why he is a favorite, frustrating but endearing at the same time.

I'm not familiar with HERDA, but it does sound awful.

Like you said, HYPP is a genetic disease with incomplete or dominance in terms of the expression of the gene. An asymptomatic parent can have a symptomatic offspring. The primary reason that N/H horses are bred is that the gene for HYPP is associated with increased muscle bulk, so AQHA halter horse show classes contain more N/H horses than performance classes. The dilemma with the halter horses that are N/H is that alfalfa hay is used when getting them fit for show, and the elevated potassium in alfalfa hay can precipitate attacks.

I had a polish crested that did that dance! He was always my favorite and the hens favorite too. There is something to be said for sweets roosters. I don't keep them if they aren't. Just name them Sunday dinner!
1f601.png
he sounds smart if he is able to escape so much too. I understand why he is a favorite, frustrating but endearing at the same time.

I love roos they are fun to own. Especially crowing I love when they crow!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom