BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

When it showed up in the Pacific NW area a while back, the information that I read said they were slaughtering all the birds in the zone. They tested later, not before they slaughtered. And they were backyard flocks, not commercial flocks.

Some of the newest info that I have seen on the outbreak in MN and MO has been that they are no longer sure that it came from migrating water fowl. One theory has been that it was brought in through humans. But even that was not for certain. And they are still trying to figure out how it went from the Pacific Flyway, but then skipped over the Central Flyway and then was found in the Mississippi Flyway.

We also are not going to get all the information out there and for all I know, we may be getting fed a line of bull right now. It is not in the best interest of the government to be forthcoming on many things.
The backyard flocks in Washington and Oregon were euthanized after necropsies were done on chickens that had died suddenly. The sudden deaths were found to be from AI and the remaining flock members euthanized. At least that's what I'd gathered from all of the talk on the PNW groups that I'm a part of.

The furor here over AI has died down significantly now. It just hasn't been as big a deal as people thought it would be, kind of like the whole ebola thing. There aren't any new cases in Oregon and I haven't heard about any new ones in Washington. The most recent case was down in California on a free-range turkey farm.

The backyard flocks in Washington and Oregon were euthanized after necropsies were done on chickens that had died suddenly. The sudden deaths were found to be from AI and the remaining flock members euthanized. At least that's what I'd gathered from all of the talk on the PNW groups that I'm a part of.

The furor here over AI has died down significantly now. It just hasn't been as big a deal as people thought it would be, kind of like the whole ebola thing. There aren't any new cases in Oregon and I haven't heard about any new ones in Washington. The most recent case was down in California on a free-range turkey farm.

Yes, I knew they had slaughtered the remaining flocks after the initial deaths, but the information that was getting passed on through several sources was that it was not just the remaining flocks that were slaughtered, but other flocks as well and they were testing after the fact, not before the fact. The situations with the turkeys in the Midwest have been problematic because they were commercial operations and not interacting with wild water fowl like they believe happened out on the west coast and with the birds in those adjoining interior states.

These days, there really is no telling what info is true and what is not, since the media and the government report what they want to report in order to serve their own agendas. The only reason that the furor has died down is because of media manipulation of the public has centered on other issues - doesn't mean the problem has gone away simply because it is not being reported on and people are no longer in a state of excitement/panic. All one can do is to read as many sources of information they can, and decide what they believe is the truth.

Yes, I knew they had slaughtered the remaining flocks after the initial deaths, but the information that was getting passed on through several sources was that it was not just the remaining flocks that were slaughtered, but other flocks as well and they were testing after the fact, not before the fact. The situations with the turkeys in the Midwest have been problematic because they were commercial operations and not interacting with wild water fowl like they believe happened out on the west coast and with the birds in those adjoining interior states.

These days, there really is no telling what info is true and what is not, since the media and the government report what they want to report in order to serve their own agendas. The only reason that the furor has died down is because of media manipulation of the public has centered on other issues - doesn't mean the problem has gone away simply because it is not being reported on and people are no longer in a state of excitement/panic. All one can do is to read as many sources of information they can, and decide what they believe is the truth.
It's disconcerting that infection(s) are occurring outside of the known transmission vectors, particularly in a commercial operation where biosecurity is such a big deal.

When it showed up in the Pacific NW area a while back, the information that I read said they were slaughtering all the birds in the zone. They tested later, not before they slaughtered. And they were backyard flocks, not commercial flocks.

Some of the newest info that I have seen on the outbreak in MN and MO has been that they are no longer sure that it came from migrating water fowl. One theory has been that it was brought in through humans. But even that was not for certain. And they are still trying to figure out how it went from the Pacific Flyway, but then skipped over the Central Flyway and then was found in the Mississippi Flyway.

We also are not going to get all the information out there and for all I know, we may be getting fed a line of bull right now. It is not in the best interest of the government to be forthcoming on many things.

They are not needlessly slaughtering unaffected flocks, unless there is a case that I am unaware of.

There is not much question that the most likely carriers were waterfowl, or at the least wild birds. The pathogen does not survive long outside of the bird. How it was actually transmitted to the commercial flock is uncertain. It will always be. It is always be like that. It is not as if it is going to be traced to an individual boot that tracked it in.

It would not be that it skipped flyways. That is unnecessary speculation. That would be as unrealistic as saying it skipped across from Europe to the Pacific to the Midwest. It does not survive long outside of the bird's body. No person knowledgeable of the subject is doing that speculation. The truth is that waterfowl are more and more becoming known carriers. It Is spring. They are migrating. The incidences that we have are in the major flyways.

This is not new. We knew that it was coming. It was only a matter of time.

@gjensen
I don't know much about the subject, but could little birds be carriers?
I've saw little birds in stores, we've had a couple in the warehouse of the dairy plant I work at, no one knows how they got in. They tried for days to catch it, even put out sticky rat traps with bird seed on them. I told them I could get rid of it instantly, pellet rifle. "Oh no! No guns in the plant!" They tried to keep it unknown but what we heard was the quality supervisor dispatched it with a air pellet rifle Lol!
Anyway I'm sure these big operations with 'impeccable biosecurity' have looked into all sources, they lost million$ I'm sure.

@gjensen
I've saw little birds in stores, we've had a couple in the warehouse of the dairy plant I work at, no one knows how they got in. They tried for days to catch it, even put out sticky rat traps with bird seed on them. I told them I could get rid of it instantly, pellet rifle. "Oh no! No guns in the plant!" They tried to keep it unknown but what we heard was the quality supervisor dispatched it with a air pellet rifle Lol!
Anyway I'm sure these big operations with 'impeccable biosecurity' have looked into all sources, they lost million$ I'm sure.
From what I understand the smaller birds can be carriers; however, they aren't immune to the virus and die off quickly. The waterfowl are immune to some degree and are the most likely to pass it on.

@gjensen

They certainly can. Any fowl can. What makes waterfowl good carriers is that they are more resistant. The more resistant birds are better carriers. It is self limiting in the more susceptible birds. It does not usually kill the waterfowl, especially the geese. I said similar in earlier posts.

From what I understand the smaller birds can be carriers; however, they aren't immune to the virus and die off quickly. The waterfowl are immune to some degree and are the most likely to pass it on.

That is correct. That is how I understand it to.

The pattern has been similar in Asia and Europe. No fowl is excluded from the possibility of spreading it, but waterfowl have been the most effective carriers. They can have it, spread it, and never look sick.

Many others would die quickly limiting their ability to spread it, but not excluding them as potential carriers. Most would not be able to carry it the distances that the waterfowl can, making the waterfowl the chief culprits at this point. The spread across continents has been in large part due to the migratory patterns of waterfowl.

@gjensen

This is my current subject to figure out. A family of barn swallows has been making a nest in my barn each summer for years. They are so fun to watch. I just don't know how much risk they really could be to my poultry. I can easily block their way in, just would hate to do it if it's unnecessary.

Sad faces here at our place today. Sorta' had a death in the family. Jason bought himself a brand new 3500HD Dually that he really loves but I think he's feeling a little less love for it now as he accidentally killed Ariel's 'pet' Heeler pup this morning.

It wasn't anyone's fault, just an accident. Ariel was out with the pup (7 months old) that she had turned into a companion/house dog and he ran under the back wheels as Jason was heading out to pick up some stuff. The pup had the common habit of most Heelers of grabbing at tires and I guess he caught a good hold and got flung under the vehicle.

I wish he'd taken the old 'beater' 3 cylinder car that we generally use for such busy work but I understand a young man wanting to drive that shiny toy into town on this sunny morning.

I feel better getting it off my chest...thanks for 'listening'.

Back
Top Bottom