BREEDING FOR PRODUCTION...EGGS AND OR MEAT.

I just candled the eggs in my homemade incubator. My F2's both (1/2 Dark Cornish x 1/2 Cornish Roaster) are doing a fine job. Redmen(1st timer cockerel) and Lavenia(first egg at 132 days)
13 eggs in - 3 yokers (one misshapen, one double, one no excuse) - 76% settled...not that I'm counting my chickens before they've hatched
celebrate.gif
Way to go kids!

Great news! I can't wait to see the hatchlings.
wink.png

When I look at those frostbite charts I see that exposed skin will freeze at certain temperatures over time, even without windchill. How come the combs on the naked necks aren't freezing in those cold temperatures? Human skin would. ?

Because NNs are just that awesome.
wink.png

(Okay...so I'm slightly biased.) Seriously though....I really hope you figure out your frostbite issue. Hopefully someone here with more experience handling cold can offer some suggestions. I'm more of a sunstroke expert.
hmm.png

wink.png

(Okay...so I'm slightly biased.) Seriously though....I really hope you figure out your frostbite issue. Hopefully someone here with more experience handling cold can offer some suggestions. I'm more of a sunstroke expert.
hmm.png

From the description, one would almost have to see the building. I'm astonished there is frostbite problems at such moderate (relatively) temps.

wink.png

hmm.png

There's a great deal more blood flow in the combs/wattles and the blood vessels are closer to the surface than human skin.
IME the roosters are the only ones that get frostbitten at my place. Never had a hen, regardless of breed, with frostbite. Big combed Mediterranean breed roosters start getting frostbite around 20F with our year round high humidity.

From the description, one would almost have to see the building. I'm astonished there is frostbite problems at such moderate (relatively) temps.

I was just as astonished!
It's an old post and beam timber barn with a stone foundation. The roof does have a few leaky spots but where the chickens are, it's dry.
I'm going to start taking temp and humidity readings inside and outside the barn to see how they correlate to frostbite showing up. Bad for production! Today's weather is setting itself up for more frostbite. Right now it's above freezing, it's raining on and off, there is water everywhere and the air is saturated. Tomorrow night it's going down to -17oC. I have no idea how I'd be able to prevent frostbite with those kinds of weather conditions without heat.

My first attempt at hatching quail. 32 eggs (5 had hairline cracks, so I didn't set them)

They are currently in the turner with no heat. Will turn the heat on tomorrow morning, so they will hatch when I can watch!

I'm considering quail - and am also making a foray into hatching (chicken eggs at this time). So keep us posted!!!

pop.gif

- Ant Farm

Back
Top Bottom